JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got my first revolver the other day, a used Taurus 605 .357 (wanted something small yet powerful for backpacking). I took it to the range, and the cylinder jammed on a couple of shots, though that was likely due to my own inexperience allowing some powder residue to get under the extractor. Anyway, other than that it shot fine, and I have been unable to get it to repeat that jam since I cleaned under the extractor (and I now know to eject spent shells muzzle up).

My concern here is that I have noticed the cylinder gap seems to taper inward toward the top of the barrel. It looks like the gap at the top of the barrel is about 30-40% narrower than at the bottom. Is this a feature to prevent any frame cutting from the pressure that escapes at the gap, or is this an irregularity that needs to be addressed?

I appreciate the help!

doesnt sound normal.. should be an even gap all over...

I would call taurus and have them fix it... is there signs of damage like a bullet being off timing and striking the side?

Upon close inspection it doesn't appear that anything like that happened, but I did notice that the outer edge of the barrel seems to be slightly (and slightly irregularly) more rounded on the lower left side. If I push forward on the cylinder while closing it, I can get it to make contact with the barrel in the exact area where the slight rounding is (not that I'd normally do that, but previous owners have been known to do all sorts of funny stuff). Normal wear and tear, or should that not be happening at all either? Guess I get to experience Taurus' amazing warranty first-hand.

Instead of measurement with your eye, take a set of feeler gauges and measure the gap, take measurements at 12, 6, 3, and 9 oclock. The cylinder should be close at all points. If the cylinder to barrel face is not the same send it back.

Jim

Here's a good read........THE REVOLVER CHECKOUT - 10 year anniversary update. - The Firing Line Forums

I studied this to learn what to look for before buying a used revolver from a member here. I was able to compare the revolvers I already have. Sad to say, unless you got that gun for a real good price, you may have passed had you read first. I didn't re-read it again but I believe it mentions your specific issue in those twelve pages somewhere.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR