JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's the general opinion about this one?
Just found out about it, so I'm clueless, but Utility version in '06 looks good to me.
Wondering if its worth it.
Please, let me know what you think.

Dean

I bought one in .223 from a forum member recently, couldn't be happier. Well, not quite, the trigger leaves something to be desired, but for what these sell for, they're a bargain. Mine is looking like sub-MOA once I get a load worked up, action is good, and even the synthetic stock isn't bad, it's just a nice little rifle. 5R rifling, and the bore on this looked amazing when I bore scoped it, looks as good as the 6.5 CM Criterion barrel I just bought for more than what I payed for the rifle. If mine's any indication, you really can't go wrong. Later.

Dave

They're butt ugly. For a few dollars more, one can get a gun that is not butt ugly with more aftermarket support if desired.

I bought one in .223 from a forum member recently, couldn't be happier. Well, not quite, the trigger leaves something to be desired, but for what these sell for, they're a bargain. Mine is looking like sub-MOA once I get a load worked up, action is good, and even the synthetic stock isn't bad, it's just a nice little rifle. 5R rifling, and the bore on this looked amazing when I bore scoped it, looks as good as the 6.5 CM Criterion barrel I just bought for more than what I payed for the rifle. If mine's any indication, you really can't go wrong. Later.

Dave
Sounds like a winner!
Thanks for the review. That really helped. Much appreciated. :s0155:

What gun are you referring to TTSX (and FTR, I don't think the gun is ugly).
Beauty in the eye, I suppose. I'm referring to the Savage 110 series which one can find with some frequency under $400. The last one I bought after a rebate was a hair over $300 including the optic as a package. Savage has much, much more aftermarket support and I don't think anyone will honestly tell you they don't shoot well

What's the general opinion about this one?
Just found out about it, so I'm clueless, but Utility version in '06 looks good to me.
Wondering if its worth it.
Please, let me know what you think.

Dean
Good rifle, great bargain
They had a couple at BiMart in 6.5 Creedmoor for $349. I don't know if they're still making these or not but if you can find one, I think you'll be happy to own it.

I have one in 204 Ruger and it shoots lights out!!! I got it on sale for $275 and "Splurged" for a trigger upgrade that made a 3# pull. The Compass has some features that serious high dollar rifles have. 5r rifling, threaded free floated barrel.
The aftermarket has caught on too. You can get trigger springs, over sized bolt handles, stocks, and chassis systems.
I own a couple of very nice custom rifles and the Compass is among my favorites!!!

I bought a compass utility in 5.56/223 from fisherman's Marine, seem like it was less than $300, it's a great gun I worked over the trigger myself and it shoots 5/8-in group at 100 yards five shots

I picked one up a few years back in a combo deal, $175 for the rifle and $100 more for scope and rings. Sold the scope and rings for a better setup. The 22-250 that I got is great, after installing an MCARBO trigger spring to adjust it down to around 2.25 lbs. it'll shoot moa all day with factory loads and better with hand loads as long as the barrel is allowed to cool between shots. It starts stringing shots as it heats, not good as I bought it for sage rat hunting. If it didn't have a pencil profile barrel I'd be much happier.

I picked one up a few years back in a combo deal, $175 for the rifle and $100 more for scope and rings. Sold the scope and rings for a better setup. The 22-250 that I got is great, after installing an MCARBO trigger spring to adjust it down to around 2.25 lbs. it'll shoot moa all day with factory loads and better with hand loads as long as the barrel is allowed to cool between shots. It starts stringing shots as it heats, not good as I bought it for sage rat hunting. If it didn't have a pencil profile barrel I'd be much happier.
You can't find a heavier barrel for it?

Two different ways to look at it, I suppose.
One says it's an inexpensive rifle, so why mess with it. The monetary value of the outcome won't return the monetary value you put into it.
The other says you've found a nice rifle at a good price point, but its not quite there yet. Make a few mods to gain Nirvana and now you have something that you prefer, and thus, will likely shoot and enjoy, more often.
No one's right or wrong (not that that was your point). Just in how you look at the situation.
In my mind, replacing the barrel would bring you closer to Nirvana, but you may be looking at it more like that gun is the ship you're passing tonight....and that's ok.
I see SW has one in 7-08. May have to go check it out.

Dean

Based strictly on a sample size of one...

Picked one up a couple years back in 300 win mag. Best I ever got it to do with the myriad of factory ammo I fed it was more what I'd call a pattern than a group at 100yds. Turned the crown, replaced the stock, bedded the action, etc...etc...etc. No improvement. Had my daughter bring over one of her high speed cameras and discovered that on firing, the barrel whip was violent and extreme. It's now parked in the back of the gun vault as a potential future project with a tag indicating that it's unsafe to fire. :confused:

Based strictly on a sample size of one...

Picked one up a couple years back in 300 win mag. Best I ever got it to do with the myriad of factory ammo I fed it was more what I'd call a pattern than a group at 100yds. Turned the crown, replaced the stock, bedded the action, etc...etc...etc. No improvement. Had my daughter bring over one of her high speed cameras and discovered that on firing, the barrel whip was violent and extreme. It's now parked in the back of the gun vault as a potential future project with a tag indicating that it's unsafe to fire. :confused:
They do guarantee moa accuracy, have you contacted them about it?

They do guarantee moa accuracy, have you contacted them about it?

Nope. The time and hassle of dealing with "customer service" and returning it to them isn't justified by the pittance I paid for the rifle. Cabelas had a ridiculous deal on them and it cost me next to nothing. I just bought it on a whim to see how bad a ridiculously cheap rifle could be, and my question was answered so I'm content.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top