JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I was up in the city for various reasons and I stopped by a Sportsmans. Holy cow, ammo on the shelf. The area was packed, but I managed to go-go-gadget grab a few boxes of 9㎜. When I got home and opened them to load some mags I find:

munición púrpura.jpg

What the hell? Purple bool-its? Never heard of the stuff.

• What, exactly, is the projectile made out of? And why purple?
  • I'm assuming this safe to run in pistols and a subgun. Is that so?
Thanks.

Polymer coated lead.

Writeup from 2019:

Never run any, that I recall. So no first hand review.

I bought a bunch of it when it first came out a few years ago. I ran it all through my MPX without any issues. It used to be blue, IIRC. They must have made some special purple ones for you Northmost Northern CA folks! ;)

I boughy a bunch when they came out and was fairly cheap. I haven't shot any, but don't see any reason not to. They were cheaper that copper plated and people have been coating lead bullets for ages.

I bought a bunch of 9mm Syntech a few years ago. Mine were red, as pictured. I bought them mainly for shooting steel with handguns, as Federal advertised less splash back. Shoots fine. I've never run it exclusively on any particular outing to see if it runs cleaner, but makes sense that it would.

American-Eagle-Syntech-TSJ-Ammo-2-300x171.jpg

So I was up in the city for various reasons and I stopped by a Sportsmans. Holy cow, ammo on the shelf. The area was packed, but I managed to go-go-gadget grab a few boxes of 9㎜. When I got home and opened them to load some mags I find:

View attachment 1017940

Thanks.

You are only allowed to load them into 30-rd mags, and you MUST do mag-dumps with (The Artist Formerly Know as) Prince's song "Purple Rain" blaring in the background!

View attachment 1017940

Thanks.
Plastic coated has become very popular in the reloading realm. It's vastly less expensive than copper plating or jacketed, as well as being much cleaner than basic lead.

The bullets are still lead based. Just coated in a polymer coating.

Purple? I think that's to designate bullet weight for Federal. Their other bullet weights are different colors.

Plastic coated rounds are very much safe to be fired from anything they are chambered for. They are also perfectly safe for suppressors.

If you think purple is funky! I used to buy Eggleston Bullets and the whole rainbow was available to chose from.
1629819974384.jpeg

Plastic coated has become very popular in the reloading realm. It's vastly less expensive than copper plating or jacketed, as well as being much cleaner than basic lead.

The bullets are still lead based. Just coated in a polymer coating.

Purple? I think that's to designate bullet weight for Federal. Their other bullet weights are different colors.

Plastic coated rounds are very much safe to be fired from anything they are chambered for. They are also perfectly safe for suppressors.

If you think purple is funky! I used to buy Eggleston Bullets and the whole rainbow was available to chose from.
View attachment 1018067

Hopefully they put a hazard warning on those in big bold letters saying "warning: not crayons, do not eat!"….. for the USMC boys & girls.

:s0108:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR