JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Hello All,

I have an interesting piece here. It is an SVT-40 manufactured during WWII in 1941 at Izhevsk, Russia. It is a great, hard-hitting military collectible that is getting harder and harder to find. My shooting and collecting interests are shifting slightly, so its time for this rifle to be enjoyed by a new owner.

The SVT-40 shoots 7.62x54r ammunition loaded from a 10-round detachable magazine or stripper clip. (Of note: this rifle was very advanced in its time for its use of the detachable mag, but interestingly the intent to reload the rifle was to leave the mag attached and recharge it via stripper clips through a slot cut into the top of the receiver :confused:.). Unlike a Romanian PSL or AK/RPK type weapon which uses a 'long-stroke' piston to cycle the bolt, the SVT uses a 'short-stroke' arrangement much more like a true Dragunov rifle, so accuracy is VERY good even with its open sights :s0155: . Also, unlike a Romanian PSL which can be damaged if not using the specific x54r ammunition it was designed for, the gas piston of the SVT has a 5-port gas valve to vary the force of the stroke based on the type of ammo being shot. This saves the receiver from excessive force and greatly extends the versatility of the weapon. The SVT's receiver is forged.

This example is an arsenal rebuild with a 'plumb' colored electropenciled bolt and a very, very tiny import mark in a discrete spot on the rear of the receiver. Its barrel, rifling and exterior metal finish are excellent. No rust or corrosion. The wood stock, finished in a typical Russian 'beetle-shell' shellac is mostly good to just OK in small spots, but I wouldn't recommend refinishing it or its resale value will go down. There are three arsenal-done stock repairs, but if you don't know what to look for, only one is semi-obvious. I'll show you those. They are cosmetic only and do not affect the structural strength of the stock. The chamber is fluted, good for extraction in the dirty environment of war on the steppe, but a little hard on your brass if you reload. I have had zero problems with this rifle firing a variety of ammunition. I have only put about 100 rounds downrange with it in the three or so years I've owned it.

It comes with one original factory magazine, worth about $175 alone and which still pop up fairly regularly on Gunbroker. Aftermarket mags are available for about $75. It also comes with a brand new RPD light machine gun sling that works superbly on this rifle and is very similar to the original equipment.

I am asking $900 straight cash, or (better yet) a partial trade with cash ($400 to $600 depending) for an original-condition (no tapped receivers, aftermarket stocks, etc) semiautomatic military rifle like, but not limited to, a Russian or Yugoslavian SKS or any Finnish Mosin Nagant of type M91, M27, M28, M28/30 or M39 in good condition.

EDIT I'm also open to a trades like a St. Gauden Double Eagle or a few British Soverigns :s0114: .

Anyways, take a look in those gunsafes and let me know what you think.

Keith

Yes,very much like a Garand!A good friend of mine had one and we ran quite a few rounds thru it.Looks pretty good in the pic,is there any rust or other major problem?
How's the bore?

No rust inside or out. No mechanical or functional problems. Bright shiny bore. :). If you run through the original post, I cover some cosmetic issues with the stock. Example: The semi-obvious stock repair mentioned above can be seen on the photo. Right above the trigger group, below the rear part of the receiver cover is a long, thin, lightly-colored rectangular area surrounded by a line of darker color. The light area is the stock repair, where presumably the original wood was damaged and then replaced during the rearsenal process.

Keith

Unbelievable, I look high and low for one for months, then go buy a PSL and then a nice piece shows up in my back yard, lol :) Nice looking rifle at a good price, you shouldn't have any trouble selling it!

PM responded to :) . Scope...some SVTs did have scopes mounted to them, but not this one. Even the ones that were set up for scopes suffered from vertical stringing of the first shot...something about the mounting method of the scope onto the receiver cover. This doomed its wide implementation as a 'sniper rifle', although it would been fine as a 'designated marksman rifle' had that concept been thought of back then. Aftermarket replica scopes are available, somewhere in the $300 to $400 range, but modifying an unscoped rifle to take a scope usually means you've succeeded in turning a $900 rifle into a $300 rifle. The process involves slotting and notching the receiver cover. A very noticable change and collectors like their authenticity.

Keith

I wanted to thank everyone for the several separate trade offers I've received so far...thoughtful and appropriate, but they are not quite what I feel would fit my collection. I surely appreciate the offers.

I'd also like to let eveyone know that I am open for one-for-one swaps as well. Anyone got an old FN 49 laying around :s0114:?

Keith

Well Keith, I do know of one Egyptian Fn49 in Portland that I can get my hands on (it lies with a family member). Would you do a one for one trade if I can get it?

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Yes, a 1 for 1 trade is just fine provided it is chambered for .30-06 and fits NRA Service Grade standards or thereabouts. I think the Egyptians are chambered for 8x57 though...that'd be a new round for me. Hmmm...tempting. Maybe with some 8mm thrown in to balance the trade out. I'll post some closeup pics of my SVT for a quality comparison.

For anyone else reading this, I'd also interested a straight trade for a Romak/PSL or a more rare AK like a Yugo M70 with a few mags thrown in. Of course some nice Finn Mosins would also be nice :) .

Keith

I wanted to thank everyone for the several separate trade offers I've received so far...thoughtful and appropriate, but they are not quite what I feel would fit my collection. I surely appreciate the offers.

I'd also like to let eveyone know that I am open for one-for-one swaps as well. Anyone got an old FN 49 laying around :s0114:?

Keith

Heh, yeah I happen to. The only problem is I also have a SVT-40!

They are great rifles no doubt. About half the weight of a Garand, basically nearly the same feel and heft of a Russian Mosin. Unlike some modern semis like the PSL, the added bonus of an adjustable gas valve allows the use of any grain ammo you can put through it. Handy for battlefield acquisitions :) . When I first got it, it double tapped twice during the first two mags of ammo I ran through it (no, hadn't cleaned the inside of the bolt prior to :s0114:). Unexpected and quite a cheap thrill...got some weird looks too. I only wish an inexpensive polymer stock was available so I could take the original wood stock off to preserve its delicate Russian shellac finish.

Whats turned me off on it somewhat is the cost of original accessories which I like to outfit all my rifles with...$150-$250 for original bayonets, $50-$75 for reproduction magazines, at least twice that for originals. Forget original scopes. Its a big contrast to a G3 type rifle where the 'expensive' steel mags cost $5, the 'cheap' alloys cost $3 and surplus military Zeiss telescopes and claw mounts are $350 combined.

Keith

They are great rifles no doubt. About half the weight of a Garand, basically nearly the same feel and heft of a Russian Mosin. Unlike some modern semis like the PSL, the added bonus of an adjustable gas valve allows the use of any grain ammo you can put through it. Handy for battlefield acquisitions :) . When I first got it, it double tapped twice during the first two mags of ammo I ran through it (no, hadn't cleaned the inside of the bolt prior to :s0114:). Unexpected and quite a cheap thrill...got some weird looks too. I only wish an inexpensive polymer stock was available so I could take the original wood stock off to preserve its delicate Russian shellac finish.

Whats turned me off on it somewhat is the cost of original accessories which I like to outfit all my rifles with...$150-$250 for original bayonets, $50-$75 for reproduction magazines, at least twice that for originals. Forget original scopes. Its a big contrast to a G3 type rifle where the 'expensive' steel mags cost $5, the 'cheap' alloys cost $3 and surplus military Zeiss telescopes and claw mounts are $350 combined.

Keith

They are a great rifle and your right on the expense of parts. I have still enjoyed it though will probably get rid of it one of these days.

BTW the FN49 is also a very good rifle. I've had mine for years and have enjoyed it immensely.

Well, I got an excellent trade offer last night and am closing out this thread today. Georges and I are both happy campers :).

Thanks to everyone else for their offers and correspondence. Lets do it again, shall we?

Keith

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.