JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I got to the range to continues breaking in my new Kahr PM40. First trip I put 100 rounds through it no problems, using (2) 6 round mags and (1) 5 round mag. This time I use (equally) the same mags, only this time while shooting 100-120 rounds the 6 round mags drop free while I am shooting 6 times.:huh:
Needless to say this is NOT confidence inspiring in a C.C. gun. Once I realized this was happening with regularity, and wasn't just a fluke or I didn't fully engage the magazine, I paid special attention to NOT hit the mag release with my thumb and held my supporting hand under the mag, the problem ceased. However this is not the way I normally shoot, so I feel like I need to figure out WHY this is happening. Has anyone else experienced this with their PM's?

There was an issue with the mag release some time back. Call them and give them the ser# and describe the problem. I've heard great reviews about their customer service.

They absolutely stand behind every weapon they produce and will fix any problem at no charge (except for shipping there) with quick turn around. However, good luck getting someone on the phone. You will be on hold for about five-ten minutes only to be put through to a voice recording that tells you to leave your contact info and they will get back to you, which normally takes two days. Also, you will not hear word one from them after you ship it. One day your gun will just magically show up on your doorstep with a little write up on what they did to it. Also, they will send it back uncleaned if they had to test fire it. I hope you get better treatment than I did.

No reason to send it back as the mag release is doing it's job in releasing the mag when button is pressed. Try pinky extention or slip on grip to move your thumb back a bit.

No reason to send it back as the mag release is doing it's job in releasing the mag when button is pressed. Try pinky extension or slip on grip to move your thumb back a bit.

I thought about this. I was using a Hogue hand-all jr. and the 6 round mags ARE the extended mags, which seems like part of the problem, when firmly gripping the gun, it pulls back on the bottom of the magazine, which seems to take pressure off the mag release. I am not sure if the mag is dropping because I am hitting it with my thumb (I don't think inadvertent contact should drop the mag anyway) or if the shock is making it drop. I did make a conscious effort to keep my thumbs completely OFF the grip (losing a lot of control in the process), but I was supporting the gun under the mag at this point, and the problem went away. However like I said before this is NOT how I shoot and seems to be bad form.

I thought about this. I was using a Hogue hand-all jr. and the 6 round mags ARE the extended mags, which seems like part of the problem, when firmly gripping the gun, it pulls back on the bottom of the magazine, which seems to take pressure off the mag release. I am not sure if the mag is dropping because I am hitting it with my thumb (I don't think inadvertent contact should drop the mag anyway) or if the shock is making it drop. I did make a conscious effort to keep my thumbs completely OFF the grip (losing a lot of control in the process), but I was supporting the gun under the mag at this point, and the problem went away. However like I said before this is NOT how I shoot and seems to be bad form.

Do you have large hands? that can be a problem with PM's. My hands are average size, and my thumbs lock just above the mag release button on my PM9. No problems so far, but wonder if the extra recoil of the .40 would cause more movement. I'm with ya on the form, and a unexpected mag drop would not be welcome in a gun fight.

Unintentional activation of the magazine and slide release are comman problems for large hands shooting todays pocket guns. I have 2XL hands. And on my Kahr P380 there's not enough room on the gun for my normal thumbs pointed at the target grip. When shooting the Kahr, I curl my strong hand thumb down so its pointed at the ground. Then I place my support hand thumb pointed up over the other thumb. It seemed awkward at first. But after 1000 rounds it has become instinct.

O.K. after another trip to the range I found out it was only happening with one of the 6 rounders. Apparently the mag is a little looser than it should be, my pinky grip is just strong enough to twist the mag (in the magwell) which almost dis-engages the mag from the catch. The slightest touch of the mag release drops the mag. Needless to say, this mag has been relegated to "practice" duty.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top