JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
why hasnt anyone/manufacturer ever posted STC specs on firearms?

it should be a standard like trigger pull.

all factory firearms should be the same per model.

that would be a great way for women or elderly to know if its something they can do before buying

or better yet maybe even create a pistol grip exercise model that you can change the strength on to mimic a heavier slide pull so if you are at home you practice and than go buy what you wanted. increase your resistance strength

It's a very difficult metric to measure. Do you know how many pounds you can pull in that manner? Now change the shape and the height of the slide. Makes it much more difficult.

I know people built like a brick wall with no hand strength that can't pull a G37 slide. On the other hand my girlfriend has little upper body strength but rocks stupid stiff little guns because she can.

My mom just runs a pistol with a top up barrel and double action. No fiddling with the slide.

It's not as simple as it takes this much to pull.

It's a very difficult metric to measure. Do you know how many pounds you can pull in that manner? Now change the shape and the height of the slide. Makes it much more difficult.

I know people built like a brick wall with no hand strength that can't pull a G37 slide. On the other hand my girlfriend has little upper body strength but rocks stupid stiff little guns because she can.

My mom just runs a pistol with a top up barrel and double action. No fiddling with the slide.

It's not as simple as it takes this much to pull.
It's more about form than strength. Keep it close to your body pointed across your chest with your support hand on top of the slide, push with both hands and get your pecs involved.

It's more about form than strength. Keep it close to your body pointed across your chest with your support hand on top of the slide, push with both hands and get your pecs involved.
If I can't get it moving the old fashioned way I use my belt, table edge, wall corner, shoe, etc. There are easier ways.

1612072488720.png

$7.95 at Walmart. You can get all sorts of different strengths. Soon enough you'll be able to grip AND pull back a Sig Mosquito slide.

Here is an adjustable one from Amazon for $9.95

It shouldn't be too hard to create a rig that measures slide pull weight.

What were actually asking for here is a spring rate. Years ago I worked for a company tasked with measuring a spring rate and the device was very complicated and completely custom fabricated for just that spring.
Im not an engineer so I cant truly explain why, but its an incredibly complicated thing to measure.... the strength required to compress a spring a given distance changes as the compression distance increases until full compression. Add to that a pistol slide compresses more than one spring to fully cycle the slide. I suppose a gun company could advertise the end value but this is irrelevant to the design which is driven by the designs form factor which varies gun to gun anyways.

Shouldn't they be able to try it at the gun store with the magazine removed? Unless it's an online sight unseen buy, there's no reason one can't do a good fondle job before dropping a week's pay

The force needed for a single weight spring ramps up pretty linearly as the spring is compressed. Like you said, some use multiple springs or have to compress a hammer spring too. My BHP has progressive spring so it'll be different yet with how the load is felt.

Generally springs are rated by how many pounds to compress a percentage of it's free length. Could be 17lb (like a glock 17 spring i believe) to compress 1 inch or could be 17lbs at 80% compression.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews