JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a springfield armory LW champion operator a few weeks back. First pistol. I have wanted to get a .45 since shooting one in the service 20 years ago but never realy had a need or there was always something else I needed to spend the money on. Well I got it but maybe I got to eager. Not sure yet. I love the pistol and the way it shoots and feels but now I get to reading reviews about it and it haveing a aluminum alloy frame and some say the frame will crack. I dont know for sure. did I make a good choice or not? Anyone have expierence with these?

Thank you

I don't have any Springfields but I have a Kimber Pro Carry that has a few thousand rounds through it. I can find no cracks. I have heard of other models cracking around the dust cover. I'm not sure what causes that. I do know you will want to use magazines with a follower that has a flat face on the front edge. I originally bought Chip McCormick Shooting Stars for mine then a few years later heard about the gouging of the frame from the follower rocking forward into it. Mine does have a small dent from the follower but I have been using Wilson 47Ds since I found out about this. The gouge does not affect the function of my Pro Carry in any way. It is a little below the feed ramp.

As said above SA is great, and has lifetime warranty on their guns. The issue with LW frames is the feed ramp, SA is smart and uses a ramped barrel to remedy this. I believe Kimber doesn't (or didn't) and has had problems.

if they are like most aluminum frame guns ( such as sigs) they will have some initial wear as they loosen up then as long as they are kept oiled they will last tens of thousands of rounds. if they are ran dry for long periods of time the rails will wear thin and the slide will start binding this is when the frame would crack.

As long as the zombies aren't chasing you, you should always have time to oil you guns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top