JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
was digging through my old stuff and found some books i remember from when i was young that helped get me interested in firearms and old firearms specifically.
76FF10D0-2722-42E1-8B62-82A325BA2CAE.jpeg
289313DB-B83A-4E38-9446-601D56BB7141.jpeg
Its always good to have information and i find it interesting,
Obviously these are books with a lot of pictures which is probably why my grandfather gave them to me when he did. Any books chalked full of interesting information you guys would say are a must have for firearms? In general or for any purpose

Between my Dad and my Grandad I was taught that when you buy a Gun, you buy a book about it. While I may not always buy a book about a particular gun that I have just purchased, it sometimes ends up that I buy several. Especially when I have just purchased something different. Right now that means I have purchased several books about the Thompson. My first Shooting was with a Thompson SMG and about 15 years later I had several of them as part of my Active Duty time. Now I have obtained one of the later Thompson Carbines and a few books to go with it.

I always like the idea of buy a Gun, buy a Book.:):):)

Between my Dad and my Grandad I was taught that when you buy a Gun, you buy a book about it. While I may not always buy a book about a particular gun that I have just purchased, it sometimes ends up that I buy several. Especially when I have just purchased something different. Right now that means I have purchased several books about the Thompson. My first Shooting was with a Thompson SMG and about 15 years later I had several of them as part of my Active Duty time. Now I have obtained one of the later Thompson Carbines and a few books to go with it.

I always like the idea of buy a Gun, buy a Book.:):):)
Sounds like a good wtlb! I got some catching up to do

Having a Thompson SMG as my first time Shooting Iron just might have "colored" my vision a bit. I Enlisted to avoid the Draft and went to the Small Arms Repair School at APG in Maryland. A little less than Two years later I was appointed as the 1st Cav Division Smallarms Inspector as an E-5. I was building Museum for the Division and had Six Thompson SMGs plus the one my CO carried on a daily basis which I had to keep fed. He had this "habit" of firing it at anything and everything when he was returning to the Company from the Rear Area. He also had the habit of not always getting the Magazines into the Jeep. I ordered a lot of replacements. He was seldom happy when he returned from the Rear and the Chairwarmers there. He also enjoyed a nip or two.

I wish I had more of the books I had over there.

I buy them (books) at gun shows when I'm too broke to buy anything else. I rarely get them from the book dealer tables, because they are high priced.

But occasionally you can find old books for sale on random tables. Usually a better deal. I've found a few old firearms forensics books by Hatcher, old gunsmithing books, etc. Even if they aren't very good, they're usually worth it.

I never knew of his books other than Hatcher's Notebook until I found them at a gunshow. They cover forensic investigations of firearms. Not really useful, but incredibly interesting...

I have a whole wall in my library just for gun books.
I do agree with checking out the used book market...many titles just aren't made anymore.
A book and experience can go a long way in helping you ID a gun or decide just what to collect or stay away from.

As to how much I love books and collecting them...Well you all have seen the pics of of my antique gun collection...the book hobby is much , much "worse" or "better" depending on your point of view...:eek::D

My library is "open" to all here...by open I mean that I am always willing to look something up and share the information and book title.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads