Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Soliciting your opinions - 10/22 Magazine

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by FortunateSon, Apr 23, 2012.

1. FortunateSon

FortunateSon Marion County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I will be picking up a 10/22 in the near future and would be looking to add higher capacity magazines than the standard 10-round that comes with. The two options I am looking at (only 2 options?) are the Butler Creek 30-Round and Ruger 25 Round. Bi-Mart is running the Bulter Creek magazine at slightly less than $20 right now.

I would love to hear your opinion on which is the better option, based on your personal experience, taking price into consideration.

2. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

Avoid the Butler Creek mags, they are garbage.

Both the Tactical Innovations 25 round and Ruger BX-25 mags have worked well for me.

3. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

I have had a 10-22 for about 20yrs now. i have used the BC hot lips and steel lips and have had very good luck with them. The new ruger ones are nice also. the hot lips go on sale at BI-mart for around 15.00 all the time.

4. Pepiot

Pepiot Oregon My other girl ^^^^^

I have shot thousands of rounds using Butler Creek mags withought any problems, just make sure you get the steel lips.

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Agree with Pepiot; I have better luck with those than the Tactical Solutions fancy mags. I think when you use one of the slop-adjustable mags you have to tune them to only one 10/22. When you have 2 or 3 they get switched around.

6. Gun Mechanic

Gun Mechanic Portland Active Member

+1 for the Ruger BX-25 mags. Haven't had a problem yet. Plus you can take them apart to be services, cleaned or repaired if needed, which you can't do with the Butler Creeks.

I've hear mixed reviews (more negative than positive) about all the Butler Creeks but if you want to go that route I'd get the steel lipped version. I think they are on sale at Bi Mark for $20.

7. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I have 3 of the Butler Creek 25 round plastic lip magazines. I guess I've got lucky 3 times, because they work well for me. Initially they had some jamming issues, but now run great. However WHEN they do start to suck I'll be upgrading to the Ruger BX-25 magazines.

8. ar57

ar57 Independence Member

I have had Very good luck with my Black dog 50rnd Drum

mjbskwim, Nwcid, Burt Gummer and 3 others like this.
  9. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

I'd pick up a butler creek and see if it works in your 10/22, and if so, buy more. I know the TI mags are supposed to be wonderful and made by magicical leprechauns but I can't see spending $60 per magazine when the $13 butler creeks run just fine in mine, and it's not like I'm going into battle with the thing.

dehamma and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Aero Denezol

Aero Denezol Salem Active Member

The Butler Creek mags have worked fine thus far in my 10/22. I've only shot a couple of bricks, but the hot lips work better w/ the speed loader than the steel lips. Pretty much what every one else here has said, for $13-$15 you can't go all that wrong.

I didn't know Costco sold magazines. Maybe time to join up.

11. MattBG

MattBG Battle Ground, WA Member

+1 on the BX25

12. FortunateSon

FortunateSon Marion County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

MY BAD - I stated Costco but meant Bi-Mart. Edited my post.

If I lose any more brain function as I age I am deep S**T.................

13. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

Last year,Sportsman's made a mistake in an ad..two years ago?.. and were almost giviing away BC steel lip mags.I bought 5,three worked,2 never did. I"d skip them in favor of the BX25,because the BX has a slightly larger steel pin int the front than the others do,and it fits tighter because of this larger pin,. maybe the others don['t use it to skate by copywright? I do know they fit a tad tighter because of this.Also,the BX can be disassembled for cleaning. I do clean my 10 rounder now and then as they do accumulate 'stuff'.

14. Bajablast

Bajablast Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I have the Tri Mag adaptor that holds 3 of the original 10 round mags, just drop and rotate. That way you get 30 rounds, and the reliability of the original 10 rounders. Here is a link to a pic with the mags attached:

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/trimag02.jpg

If I didn't have this, I would go with the factory Ruger 25 rounder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

15. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

16. Blitzkrieg

I have some of those, the first time I dropped the tri pack one of the mags exploded and is now a piece of junk

BTW capitalism is not a free market, it is "he who has the gold makes the rules".. guess WHO has all the gold?

17. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

I built a couple 10/22 for shooting Speed steel. I use both the BX-25 and the Alangator trimags (alangator.com/). They both can be pretty reliable however have noticed that both can be loaded in a way that jams a round. I have not done it but my junior shooter and my sone-in-law have both done it. When the mags are loaded to the maximum, the top round does not sit up properly so when the bolt comes forward the bullet jams into the front of the mag. Best I can conclude is that these 2 new shooters don't load the mag properly. Maybe don't push a round all the way in and load another on top of it. If anyone knows what causes this please explain.

DSCN0040.jpg

18. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Since nobody has seemed to mention it yet, you should head over to Rimfire Central RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!
    The folks there have been there-done that with just about everything related to the 10/22. Very good info.

19. Blitzkrieg

Fully loading rimfire mags is a known possible issue.. just leave the 1 or 2 rds short of full and get back to us

20. Cheesemaker

Cheesemaker Tillamook Active Member

I've got a couple of BC 25 rnd mags, and they were purchased before the Brady bill went into affect, and still work flawless. Just as good as the new ones I just bought. They are not the steel lipped ones. The only times I have issues, is when they are loaded fully, or the type of round I'm using. My 10/22's don't like hollow points, they will jam on about 1 out of 5 rounds. Only round nose will work. Or the super cheap ammo will jam up too.