JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
It was my understanding that a "pistol" can indeed be made into a "rifle" but once that is done, it can not legally be changed back to a "pistol." "Rifles" can not be made into "pistols." Thompson Center took the ATF to court over this and won, but the ATF is of the opinion that that ruling applies only to Thompson Center and no other firearm manufacturers.

...registered pistol lower for sale.
What makes it a "registered" lower?

It was my understanding that a "pistol" can indeed be made into a "rifle" but once that is done, it can not legally be changed back to a "pistol." "Rifles" can not be made into "pistols." Thompson Center took the ATF to court over this and won, but the ATF is of the opinion that that ruling applies only to Thompson Center and no other firearm manufacturers.

I'm guessing he means the lower was registered as a pistol lower by the FFL at the time of purchase. I'd tend to agree with you - I wouldn't be switching back and forth.

Then, when the pistol registered receiver becomes a rifle, it must stay a rifle. But, since it was registered as a pistol originally. it remains registered as a pistol.

What happened to the ATF position of "Once an X_____ (pistol / rifle)...always an X_____ .

I've never heard of "re-registering" a receiver. Yet if you can't re-register a receiver, what would stop anyone from constantly switching back and forth, who's going to know ?
This would seem to suggest that owning a "pistol" receiver gives you the ability to have both......at least until it has been discovered some how that it has been changed to a rifle. Seems a little in the gray area.

How the law reads if you bought it as a pistol and built it that way( you can take off and on a stock as long as barrel conversion meets requirements and as long as you had it registered as a pistol when bought brand new.If putting your glock ,1911 frame on a mech tech top made it a permanent rifle etc mech tech would go out of business.

You might want to reread the law. The reason you cannot go back to a pistol is because a rifle can never have a barrel shorter than 16" (unless its registered with the BATF as a SBR). Once you turn this lower into a "rifle" by adding a stock, it can never have a barrel shorter than 16", thus can never be a pistol, even if you remove the stock.

The only exception to this is the thompson contender.

Technically using a mechtech between pistol and rifle is illegal, but what mechtech does is simply sell an upper, they arent breaking any laws, its your responsibility to follow the law.

But for legal questions/debate, please go to the "firearms laws and questions" thread;

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/firearms-laws-and-questions.8602/

How the law reads if you bought it as a pistol and built it that way( you can take off and on a stock as long as barrel conversion meets requirements and as long as you had it registered as a pistol when bought brand new.

Please cite that quote of law you are spouting without backing then explain how it is in compliance with this letter from the ATF which establishes that you are attempting to coerce other members of this forum into committing a felony...
atf_letter.jpg

ask a knowledgable gun dealer.

:s0113:

Also I must add that what you have is not a pistol, it appears that you have a buffer tube that can readily accept a stock, this would not make it fit the requirements of being an AR pistol. You must use an AR pistol buffer tube (or one that has been otherwise modified to not allow the attachment of a stock). If you have any questions about the law and want (close to) accurate information, contact your local ATF branch.

What that letter states if it was origonally made a rifle not a pistol then you cant make it a pistol!

Please read the sentence that contains "weapons made from a rifle".

ETA: here is the actual law regulating rifle to pistol';

A short barreled rifle (SBR) is defined in the law as:
26 U.S.C. sec. 5845(a)
(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels less than 16 inches
in length;
(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified
has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or
barrels of less than 16 inches in length;

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top