Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SOLD

Discussion in 'Part & Accessory Classifieds' started by oa98pistol512, Mar 18, 2011.

1. oa98pistol512

oa98pistol512 salem area Member

SOLD

2. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

It was my understanding that a "pistol" can indeed be made into a "rifle" but once that is done, it can not legally be changed back to a "pistol." "Rifles" can not be made into "pistols." Thompson Center took the ATF to court over this and won, but the ATF is of the opinion that that ruling applies only to Thompson Center and no other firearm manufacturers.

What makes it a "registered" lower?

3. Sasquatchvnv

Sasquatchvnv Port Orchard Active Member

I'm guessing he means the lower was registered as a pistol lower by the FFL at the time of purchase. I'd tend to agree with you - I wouldn't be switching back and forth.

4. ob1

ob1 49th parallel Well-Known Member

Then, when the pistol registered receiver becomes a rifle, it must stay a rifle. But, since it was registered as a pistol originally. it remains registered as a pistol.

What happened to the ATF position of "Once an X_____ (pistol / rifle)...always an X_____ .

I've never heard of "re-registering" a receiver. Yet if you can't re-register a receiver, what would stop anyone from constantly switching back and forth, who's going to know ?
    This would seem to suggest that owning a "pistol" receiver gives you the ability to have both......at least until it has been discovered some how that it has been changed to a rifle. Seems a little in the gray area.

5. oa98pistol512

SOLD

6. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

You might want to reread the law. The reason you cannot go back to a pistol is because a rifle can never have a barrel shorter than 16" (unless its registered with the BATF as a SBR). Once you turn this lower into a "rifle" by adding a stock, it can never have a barrel shorter than 16", thus can never be a pistol, even if you remove the stock.

The only exception to this is the thompson contender.

Technically using a mechtech between pistol and rifle is illegal, but what mechtech does is simply sell an upper, they arent breaking any laws, its your responsibility to follow the law.

But for legal questions/debate, please go to the "firearms laws and questions" thread;

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/8602-firearms-laws-questions.html

7. oa98pistol512

SOLD

8. FE427TP

FE427TP SW WA New Member

Please cite that quote of law you are spouting without backing then explain how it is in compliance with this letter from the ATF which establishes that you are attempting to coerce other members of this forum into committing a felony...
    atf_letter.jpg

:funnypoint:

9. oa98pistol512

What that letter states if it was origonally made a rifle not a pistol then you cant make it a pistol!

10. PhysicsGuy

Also I must add that what you have is not a pistol, it appears that you have a buffer tube that can readily accept a stock, this would not make it fit the requirements of being an AR pistol. You must use an AR pistol buffer tube (or one that has been otherwise modified to not allow the attachment of a stock). If you have any questions about the law and want (close to) accurate information, contact your local ATF branch.

11. PhysicsGuy

Please read the sentence that contains "weapons made from a rifle".

ETA: here is the actual law regulating rifle to pistol';

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.