JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I assume I need a powder measure, powder, patches and round balls and percussion caps. I also know there is a LOT I don't know about the muzzle loading world. Which powder measure and bullet molds do you experienced gentlemen recommend? Or do you buy your shot and projectiles? Is there a good online source for these items that is reputable.I am really getting the muzzleloader bug, so I want to do this right and safely.

Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works, The Gun Works (in Springfield), Muzzleloading and More (Keizer) are good places for most everything you will need. Sportsman's Warehouse also has some of the more common items. The links for some of the items I listed are from TOW, but that was just because their website is easier to navigate and they have good pictures so you have some idea what I'm talking about.

I'm assuming you have a typical half stock percussion sidelock that you haven't figured out a load for yet. Also assuming you will be on a range and not out hunting yet or doing trail walks at rendezvous.

Powder container: Just use the can the powder came in and buy or make a spout to fit the can. Drilling out the bottom of a .38 special case and gluing into a hole in the top will work. Bring something to cover the spout like a larger cartridge case. Horns/flasks can come later. Powder can cap with metal spout, fits metal GOEx cans - Track of the Wolf

Powder measure: An adjustable is best for now since you don't know what charge you will be using. Fixed measure can come later once you've settled on a load. The 0-120 grain size works for most anything, unless you're going elephant gun. Powder measure, brass, adjustable 0 to 120 grains, with spout - Track of the Wolf

Ball: Buy a small quantity in different sizes. i.e. for a .50 get some .490 and .495 balls. Once you settle on the best size buy a Lee or Lyman mould. Lee is cheaper, Lyman is more durable.

Patches: Again, get a small quantity in different thicknesses. .010, .015, maybe .020.. Don't buy prelubed as you have no idea how old they are and things go bad over time. Ultimately, you should be able to go into JoAnns fabrics and buy what you need. A lot cheaper that way ($3.50/thousand vice $3.50/hundred).

Short Starter: Yeah, its a modernism, but unless you shoot a loose ball/patch combo or have incredibly strong thumbs they make your life a lot easier. Short Starter, patch & ball starter, 7/16" hickory rod for .50 caliber. - Track of the Wolf

Patch knife: Only if you're cutting at the muzzle and not using precut.

Spare nipples: They are consumable items and will need to be replaced at some point in time. Like most small parts, they're also remarkably adept at falling on the floor and scooting somewhere never to be seen again.

Nipple wrench: For removing said nipples for cleaning or replacement. Nipple Wrench for Rifles, short style, with slotted end - Track of the Wolf

Caps: Make sure you get ones that fit your nipple. Even though they say #11 they actually vary by manufacturer. A Remington might fit great while a CCI doesn't and vice versa.

Lube: Spit works great at the range, you never leave it at home and you never run out. Olive oil also works as does a lot of other natural oils. Again, you will be experimenting so don't go to Costco and buy a 50 gallon drum of something. Everybody has their favorite. Bear fat from a virgin sow shot during the full moon is the best. ;)

Range rod: The ramrod on the gun works fine for light duty, but when the bore gets really fouled or that patch/ball combo you decided to try turns out to be REALLY tight or you dry ball or you accidentally double patch a ball you will be glad you had a steel range rod. Our Strongest Loading & Cleaning Rod, 5/16" stainless, over 29" long for T/C Hawken, rigid handle, 10-32 thread - Track of the Wolf

Ball puller: Yes, you will dry ball. Everybody does. Get the ones with a brass collar as it keeps the screw centered on the ball. Note: Make sure the thread size matches your ramrod. Usually, 8-32 or 10-32 Ball puller, steel screw, .32 caliber brass collar, 8-32 thread - Track of the Wolf

Patch puller: Yes, you will eventually lose a patch down the bore while wiping or cleaning. This will save your day. Select the correct threads. Patch puller, corkscrew worm, steel, brass base, 10-32 thread - Track of the Wolf

Note the pattern here. You WILL inadvertently send something down the bore that won't come out on its own. You need the tools to retrieve it. That breech plug ain't coming off.

Jag: For wiping and cleaning. Again, select the correct threads. JAG-58

Screw driver set with appropriate bits: For lock bolts as well as the smaller bridle and sear screws.

I'm sure I've left something out, but I will say for sure:

The most important thing you will need is a sense of humor.

If you need hands on help, I'm a member at TCGC and can take you out to the BP range.

Last Edited:
Excellent post by Roundball58
I will add that you really don't need much in your shooting pouch for a day of shooting.
Pictured below is everything in my pouch for shooting a flintlock.
I do suggest learning to shoot from the pouch and not carrying a ton of extra gear....
Andy
DSC06034.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews