JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What would be the largest animal one should take with this inside of 100 yards? I am looking into hunting my own property and I was thinking in general that the 50ae would be a good general round for black bear or deer. (There is a rather acclimatized black bear to humans in the general vicinity and I am thinking an 8 inch SBR in this might be a good way to mess up yogi's day if he decides to mess mine up) I am not meaning this as a primary elk or moose gun, but wondering if it would do the job out of an 8 or 16 inch barrel. I have a 16 inch barrel ordered in this because I have a couple thousand projectiles for this and while the desert eagle is fun, I like my 50s in rifle form

With a 350-400 gr slug you could probably kill anything that you would find walking in the woods.
That's kinda what I was thinking. But I can't find a lot of data for 50ae out of a rifle. The encore is fairly light for walking the property and I am good with the encore.

If you do you job and put the bullet in the right spot the bullet will be more than capable of doing its job of putting the animal down. There isn't much a .44 mag won't stop with a good shot, the .50 AE will give you more power and a bigger hole.

I can't think of any other rifle other than a Thompson Contender that could chamber a .50 AE for less than a huge amount of money.

Of course you could use those same projectiles in a 500 S&W, if you are worried about .50 AE not having enough power... lol!. Does Thompson make a 500 S&W barrel?

Last Edited:
You can get factory and custom 500 s&w barrels, if I didn't have .44 mag and 45/70 barrels I would definitely look at a 500 s&w barrel.

If you do you job and put the bullet in the right spot the bullet will be more than capable of doing its job of putting the animal down. There isn't much a .44 mag won't stop with a good shot, the .50 AE will give you more power and a bigger hole.

I can't think of any other rifle other than a Thompson Contender that could chamber a .50 AE for less than a huge amount of money.

Of course you could use those same projectiles in a 500 S&W, if you are worried about .50 AE not having enough power... lol!. Does Thompson make a 500 S&W barrel?
Yes and I have one, but I also have the ae barrel and a few thousand ae projectiles and the ae barrel is short, whereas the 500 s&w is not. My xtps for the ae will jump the crimp in a 500 s&w (in the lever action bha I have) and have no cannelure. The short barrel on the encore should yield a stupid easy rifle to just carry in the woods.

I have a good dozen plus encore barrels in various calibers. But I am sbring this one for the 8 inch barrel I got a while back

I've got a 10" 44 mag SBR for throwing heavy subs Found some 370 gr hard cast that work real well.
BBCqf1J.jpg

I have a single shot 500 S&W (I believe it's a H&R) and that thing thumps your shoulder pretty hard. I much prefer shooting my X frame in that caliber. More to absorb recoil, two wrists, two elbows, two shoulders. Maybe I should sell it as I only talk bad about it, LOL. Anyone want it? :oops:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top