JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know a few of you on here also have a Rossi 92. I have one in 357. It shoots great and is a tack driver with the right ammo but the action just seems rough and gritty. I really want to smooth it up a little and get it running like I know it can. The main problem I have is after ejecting and go to bring the lever home it feels like it gets into a bind almost. Also sometimes when feeding a new round it'll get about a 1/3 of the way in and jam up. If I bring the bolt back a little bit then go toward it'll feed right in. This has happened with a few bullets types,factory and reloads. Just curious if anyone has had similar problems and what they did to remedy it. I plan on getting it all apart and giving it good clean then polish any parts that look rough.

I can't say what is necessary, but I can say it is possible; the 92 I bought last year is very smooth - the smoothest lever action I own. I don't know if it came that way from the factory, just saying don't let anyone tell you that you are stuck with it the way it is. If you were closer I would say take it to Velzey.

I can't say what is necessary, but I can say it is possible; the 92 I bought last year is very smooth - the smoothest lever action I own. I don't know if it came that way from the factory, just saying don't let anyone tell you that you are stuck with it the way it is. If you were closer I would say take it to Velzey.

it seems hit or miss with what you get from the factory. I'm hoping that just getting it apart and trying to polish some stuff will help.

From your description, I'd look at the cartridge lifter and how it interacts with the rest of the action. Unless their Customer Service has improved in the last few years, don't expect much help from Rossi.

Rossi factory lubrication is not the best. To start off, take a can of Brake Cleaner (or Electric Motor Cleaner) with the straw and hose off all the lubrication in the action. Let it dry completely, then apply your favorite lubricant (gun oil, Ballistol, Triflow, or other magic potion) to cover every part that contacts another in motion. See if that helps. If not, you will have to dig deeper.

It might be necessary to take the action apart and examine all the contact surfaces. Signs of burrs, roughness, and lack of lubrication would be at the top of the list to look for. Make sure the bolt, locking lugs, and the lever operating mechanism all work smoothly. If nothing is obvious, reassemble with as few parts as possible, then work the action to see if it has less drag. If working smoothly, add another part and repeat. You should find your problem pretty quickly that way. Sometimes backing off one screw at a time will pinpoint a problem.

Look on the internet and you will find videos of how to disassemble and reassemble the 92. It isn't very difficult, but there are a few tricks.

My .357 carbine worked OK straight from the factory. After disassembly, cleaning, light stoning of the wear surfaces, and proper lubrication it became really smooth. John Browning really designed a slick action. Not as "slick" as a tuned 1873, but pretty close. :D

Wile_E_Coyote_Gunsmith.jpg

Proceed at your own risk......

Rifles (homestead.com)

Aloha, Mark

Years ago I went thru two Rossi 92s that I used for Cowboy shooting.
They both exhibited similar issues.
I spent hours of work with 600>1,000 grit smoothing the mortices in the receiver that the locking lugs slide in, along with de-burring and polishing the lugs and the recesses in the bolt and everything else.
It is hit-or-miss with them. A friend of mine has one and it was a hit,, both of mine were misses, (they both had oversize chambers, but that's another story).

I bought a used 92 in 45 Colt in the early 90s. Used it for 2 matches a month for about 10 years. Sometimes 1 or 2 or even 3 extra shooters per match, so there were tons of rounds untold thousands of rounds.....nearly all of them downrange without a glitch....well....other than levering in ammo more like steering some large agricultural implement than a cowboy carbine should have been.

Finally got a 92 smith to slick it up. Somewhat. It was never 'slick & smooth'. And it never was reluctant as you describe yours. In any case, it finally went down the trail to another cowboy action gamester who was delighted. My cost of 'slicking' wasn't all that much, but the results wasn't really all that great either. It did remain utterly reliable, and one of those you wish you had the wisdom to keep. Good luck.

I concur with task1. I bought a diy action kit from Steve Gunz that included a metal magazine follower to replace the factory plastic one and a replacement ejector spring to replace the way overly strong factory spring. It also includes a DVD that shows how to install the spring and slick up the action for $58. Made a huge difference on my R92.

Honestly just replacing the spring for $8 from Steve Gunz and using YouTube videos is all most folks need.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top