JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hogue wood grips do tend to be fat. I'm not familiar with that S&W model, but a set of Hogue woods on my single stack P220 makes it as fat as any double stack. Many people wouldn't like this, but I've got long fingers. OTOH, I have a set for a double stack P228 that basically make the gun unusable for anyone other than me, they're so thick.

Checkering vs. non is pretty much a personal preference. Checkering will help you hold onto the gun if it gets slick with whatever, but if it's overly sharp it will tear up your hand on the target range. In my experience Hogue's is not particularly sharp, and you can always smooth down the points with a little light sanding.

-- Sam

I have always found checkered grips to look very nice but I think the gripping factor is highly overrated. When you grip a gun the vast majority of the force from your grip (therefore the majority of the friction) goes directly against the backstrap and forestrap of the grip. Not the side of the grip panels. A textured fore and back strap will do much more for gripping than checkering on the grip panels.

These days I tend to lean towards smooth grips for two reasons. They showcase the beauty of the wood better and they are more easily touched up if dinged or damaged.

I had Hogue smooth grips on my S&W 659 and they looked great and functioned very well.

I have checkered cocobolo on my PPK/S and they actually grip too much - they hurt.

You think that hurt, I had finely checkered grips on my N frame and full house .44 mag loads would tear skin to the point of blood loss.:huh: Shouldn't be that bad on most auto's but it can still be uncomfortable if the checkering is sharp. So, I prefer smooth grips.

How about half checkered and half smooth? :D

Would that be by side, or, on each grip?? If you had one smooth and one checkered, you could tell in the dark if you were going to shoot yourself! <grin>

I looked at the Hogue site - they have lots of other patterns other than sharp pointed checkering - bricks, fishscale and others. I think that's the ideal compromise if someone wants something a little grippier without the sharp points.

I asked them about sanding off the points a little and they said "good luck".

Bob

You think that hurt, I had finely checkered grips on my N frame and full house .44 mag loads would tear skin to the point of blood loss.:huh: Shouldn't be that bad on most auto's but it can still be uncomfortable if the checkering is sharp. So, I prefer smooth grips.

Ouch, been there, not going to do that again.

I gave up on wood for my "N" frames, rubber grips only now. I also moved to a softer grip material from Hogue, as opposed to Pachmayr. The P's tore up my finger under the trigger guard.

Bob

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top