JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
guns 147.jpg guns 149.jpg This gun started out as an SMLE #4 MKI and was originally turned into a sporter by Golden State Arms under the Santa Fe name. It was called the"Mountaineer" and had a plain stock and fore end.
I bought it a few years back to make into a nicer sporter using some parts I'd acquired some time back. I used a NOS Fajen stock and a Williams peep sight. It also has the Santa Fe 5 round mag.
It's a neat gun, but I've only put 3 rounds through it before sticking it in the back of the safe. Might as well let it go.

Last Edited:
Nice.

The No. 4 was one of the better versions of the SMLE.

This isn't a Long Branch by any chance?

Either way, I am a fan of SMLEs, I think they are superior to the Mauser design rifles. I wish someone produced a somewhat modernized version in stainless (yes, I think someone did, or they nickle plated some anyway) in lighter calibers like 762x39 with shorter barrels.

There is that one gunsmith that modifies some of them, but unfortunately they stopped producing the ones in 762x39 that took an AK mag.

I'm not sure where this one was made. I'd need to dig it and a book out to determine that.
But, unlike many of the guns turned into a sporter, this one uses a replacement barrel that is slightly heavier than the original.

Gibbs was the company that made a sporter somewhat like a Jungle Carbine that was coated and looked like it was stainless. I believe it was called the "Mountain Quest", or something similar. I had one on order until Three Bears went out of business. Almost lost my deposit to those scumbags.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.