JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$400
Manufacturer
Other / Not Listed
Caliber
30-06 Springfield
City
Beaverton
State
Oregon
Zip Code
Smith Corona A3-03 - .30-06. Manufactured in June of 1943. Overall good condition with a few modifications from the original design (see pics).

How did a typewriter company come to manufacture rifles for WWII...?

From the Internet:

While Remington was struggling with increasing its production rate, the Ordnance Dept. sought other manufacturing sources for new '03 production. To this end, in January 1942 the Ordnance Dept. began negotiations with High Standard Mfg. Co. of New Haven, Conn., for the production of 100,000 '03 rifles. High Standard was interested in the contract, but it was already operating at near peak capacity with existing contracts and would be unable to serve as prime contractor on the new project. The company offered to accept the contract if it would be permitted to manufacture only the barrels and subcontract the rest of the production, including assembly of the rifles, to the L.C. Smith & Corona Typewriter Co. of Syracuse, N.Y. The Ordnance Dept. was reluctant to agree to such a proposal and, logically, took the position that Smith-Corona should be named prime contractor with High Standard serving as the subcontractor for barrel production. Since the Smith-Corona factory was in relatively close proximity to the Remington plant, it was believed that the latter would be able to assist the new manufacturer with the technical aspects of rifle production. All parties concurred with the proposal and on Feb. 25, 1942, Smith-Corona was granted a contract for M1903 rifle production.

$400

Smith 1.jpg smith 4.jpg smith 5.jpg smith 10.jpg smith 11.jpg smith 12.jpg smith 13.jpg smith 16.jpg smith 17.jpg smith 18.jpg smith 6.jpg smith 7.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Good rifles- I had one, an 03-A3 1943 Remington as I recall. The bolt handle was different tho, seems like maybe the rear sight was too... Long time ago and memory fades... :( Should never have sold it, she was very accurate... Impressed me as being one of the most accurate rifles Ive owned, and IIRC it was one of them "2-groove" barrels. I was cheesed off when I discovered it was some "war economy" 2-groove, until I actually did some range shooting with it.. was surprised at it's accuracy esp at longer ranges in our mtns... I ended up selling it to get into a Garand.. shoulda kept it tho... arggh...

Last Edited:
It has a stubborn safety as many of these reportedly have. I've priced it accordingly to account for the new owner getting it tweaked.

Thanks for the info, Andy..! Good to know. I've seen several of these going for $1200+ online.

I think the tapping screw for a scope MAY have been done at the factory. I found this diagram of various stock styles and three of them accommodate for a scope.

smith stock diagrams.jpg

I think the tapping screw for a scope MAY have been done at the factory. I found this diagram of various stock styles and three of them accommodate for a scope.

View attachment 1406441
None of the SC rifles were originally scoped. Only Remington made 03A4s, the scoped version. Also, SC receivers are supposedly more brittle than Remington, and thus harder to drill and tap for a scope base.

I think I have a deal locally, but I'll let you know if it doesn't happen. Thanks for the info. The history of these guns is fascinating....!

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top