JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Absolutely off-topic (hence the post in this section), but probably near and dear to many here because we shoot, hike, camp, hunt, fish, party and generally recreate outdoors.

I was in the waiting room for my annual physical yesterday (usual summer "uniform," t-shirt and shorts), unconsciously scratching away at half a dozen mosquito bites on my ankle, hand and both legs. The other patients surely noticed my discomfort and probably thought I had eczema or scabies or something. I'm surprised they didn't move away from me - I would. Thing is, I'm never without at least a few itchy, burning bug bites somewhere on me. All summer long!

For preventive steps, I use bug spray in the evenings, I screen my windows and doors, and I eliminate water puddles (from sprinklers and stuff) in my yard - known breeding sites. Still, I seem to attract more bites than most folks. I think that's why I'm invited to parties.

Once I get the bites, I use generic anti-itch sprays. They seem to diminish the itching by maybe 50% but wear off within an hour. And soon I find myself scratching again like a dog with fleas, even in my sleep. All summer long!

So what do you guys and gals use for relief once you have bites and start itching?

Last Edited:
Witch Hazel, baby!

I am ate up too. And this years mosquitoes have an extra long proboscis . They're able to bite thru my pants and socks.

My neighbors green-water swimming pool that hasn't been used or drained in two years certainly isn't helping.o_O

Back to the witch hazel. The cute little jar of witch hazel wipes is really handy.

d06a4a0f-7b87-4c8e-afcf-95aaf45153b5_1.c8bbdcd8fc6bfc1d04c03ec0e05c3ab3.jpeg

seriously...

You may have heard of witch hazel for blemishes on the skin, but it's not only great for acne — it can really help reduce the pain, annoying itching and swelling that often comes with bug bites, including mosquitos bites. Additionally, witch hazel can help speed up the healing process.Jul 1, 2016
Top 5 Home Remedies for Mosquito Bites - Dr. Axe
How to Get Rid of Mosquito Bites

Last Edited:
Witch Hazel, baby!

I am ate up too. And this years mosquitoes have an extra long proboscis . They're able to bite thru my pants and socks.

My neighbors green-water swimming pool that hasn't been used or drained in two years certainly isn't helping.o_O

Back to the witch hazel. The cute little jar of witch hazel wipes is really handy.

View attachment 475977

Heeeyyyyy...... That's not where I've ever gotten bit by skeeters!! o_O

Campho-phenique. been using it since I was a kid. Smells somewhere between JP4 an diesel, which is probably why I like it. But it makes the itchin' go away. Also, Gold Bond has some anti itch creams that works pretty well. If you don't like those, try putting a dab of old school Crest toothpaste on it (or any of the non gel/whitening/sparkly tooth pastes, has to be basic tooth paste). The tooth paste is slightly more dignified to walk around with than calamine lotion. (Lol!!)

The tooth paste is slightly more dignified to walk around with than calamine lotion. (Lol!!)

Well now. Since we're getting all serious ( :) ). .. If calamine lotion lacks dignity, there's always calamine powder, which is immensely more dignified.

ff0e6e60-f4de-4281-987c-b303752d379c_1.0c944262ac447719b2da5c330efbd4c6.jpeg

Bactine works, but it's quite temporary. In desperation, I've tried lip balm, hand lotion, rubbing alcohol, after shave, and even deodorant. Anything is better than nothing when you've got the itch factor happening.

Last Edited:
Well now. Since we're getting all serious:)))... If calamine lotion lacks dignity, there's always calamine powder, which is immensely more dignified.

View attachment 476016

Bactine works, but it's quite temporary. In desperation, I've tried lip balm, hand lotion, and even deodorant. Any of it is better than nothing.
Anti-Monkey Butt is the bikers friend. Nice.

I read somewhere that an effective method to relieve the itch brought on by an insect bite was to heat a tablespoon under warm water, then depress the bottom of the heated spoon onto the bite and hold for 30 seconds. Have not tried this myself so proceed with caution and at your own risk:D

I use rubbing alcohol on mosquito and other insect bites. It's a mild topical anesthetic. Anesthetic effect only lasts a few minutes, but usually the itching doesn't return. If it does, I just repeat. Especially great for chiggers as it kills the chiggers as well as blocks itching.

Sorry, I can't help. I am immune to mosquito bites. They will land and bite, I just don't get a reaction to their bite. I don't know why, but think I built up an immunity at a young age living in Hawaii where there are a ton of mosquito's. My son has the same immunity.

I use either ammonia or cheap generic anti-itch stuff that usually contain ammonia and/or baking soda. Spider bites? Don't ask! OK since you did.... :)

15 yrs ago or so I was putting my MC gloves (that'd been left on the patio) on to head to work and as I was putting the left one on I felt a sharp pain in my index finger. Threw the glove down and I had a white spot between the knuckles. Something bit me! Stomped the crap outta the glove and shook it out and headed to work. 2 hrs later my hand was too swollen to use and my fingers looked like sausages. Told 'em I had to go home and headed for the Urgency Clinic. The fnp there said it looked like a spider bite and put me on some heavy duty antibiotics because "spiders aren't known for their dental hygiene practices". As it was still a mess the next day I went to my regular doctor and he thought it might be a Hobo spider (related to the Brown Recluse) bite. The swelling and infection spread for 3 days until it got to my shoulder before the antibiotics kicked in. Even with pain pills it rated a good 8-9 on the pain scale and you could feel heat radiating from my arm a foot away. Still have a dime sized scar on the finger.
If you leave gloves, hat or anything laying outside, stomp the jebeezus outta them/it before putting them on.

Last Edited:
12 Remedies to Treat Mosquito Bites at Home
1. Vinegar
When you first notice the itchy bite, try applying a small amount of vinegar directly to the bump. If you have many bites, you may want to take a very hot bath in a tub filled with water and 2 1/2 cups of vinegar. I would personally recommend using organic apple cider vinegar.

aloe-vera-01a.jpg

2. Aloe
Aloe vera is another excellent remedy for mosquito bites, as well as many other conditions. Not only will it help ease the itching and swelling from the bit, but it will also aid in healing the wound. You can use fresh inner leaf gel directly from an aloe plant or organic aloe juice. They both work well at providing relief.

3. A Dry Bar of Soap
Another remedy for mosquito bits is to rub a bar of dry soap directly on the bite. This will help provide temporary relief to the itching. Remember to wash it off throughly after the itch fades away.

4. Baking Soda & Water
Another simple remedy for mosquito bites is to make a thick paste of baking soda and water. Then apply this paste generously to the affected area. You should feel the swelling and itching subside shortly afterwards.

5. Onion
Other than making you produce tears, a fresh slice of onion can also help take the sting out of a bite. Simply place a fresh slice on the affected area for several minutes until the itching subsides. Be sure to wash the area thoroughly afterwards.

6. Toothpaste
For quick relief from mosquito bites, try applying a small amount of all-natural peppermint or neem-based toothpaste. Allow the paste to dry and leave for as long as desired.

7. Raw Honey
Simply, take a small amount of honey and apply directly to the bite. Honey also has anti-microbial properties that can help prevent infection. I would personally recommend using local raw honey.

lemons_01.jpg

8. Lime and/or Lemons
I usually apply a small amount of lime juice directly to the bites. Lemon juice also works well. I have also heard that rubbing the bite with the lemon or lime peel helps, but I usually prefer to use the juice. This also helps in keeping the wound from becoming infected from the grit and grime of fingernails.

9. Essential oils
There are many essential oil that can help provide temporary relief for mosquito bites. My favorites are tea tree, rosemary, neem, lavender, witch hazel and cedar oil. Take a small amount and dilute it with water, then apply directly to the bite.

10. Salt Paste
Take finely ground salt and mix with a small amount of water until you have a thick paste. Apply this salt paste directly to bite. I personally use Himalayan salt and find it works best, but iodized salt will also work. The important thing is to make sure it's finely ground.

garlic.jpg

11. Garlic
Try rubbing a piece of raw garlic on the wound. It is possible that you will feel a small amount of mild burning, but you should feel some major relief afterwards. This is not one that I use with my children, and is wise for to use caution when using this natural remedy. The smell of garlic (and neem) will also help repel the mosquitoes from biting you more later.

12. Ozonated Olive Oil
Ozonated olive oil is a natural health remedy in which olive oil is slowly infused with oxygen over a period of 3-6 months. This process changes the oil to an off-white topical cream that can soothe a variety of conditions. It speeds healing and alleviates swelling and redness from insect bites. [1] Simply apply the cream directly to the bite, and the itching and swelling should stop within minutes. If you're interested in ozonated olive oil, try O2-Zap™, Global Healing Center's own ozonated olive oil formula. O2-Zap is 100% organic, non-toxic, and environmentally friendly. Do you have any mosquito bites natural remedies? If so, I'd love to hear about them in the comments below.

References (1)
†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Global Healing Center does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Global Healing Center are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.

To avoid scratching out the ink I've learned to slap the itch instead of scratch it after a tattoo.

Helps with ink itching so I'd assume it'll help with bites without further irritating the skin with your nails.

To avoid scratching out the ink I've learned to slap the itch instead of scratch it after a tattoo.

Helps with ink itching so I'd assume it'll help with bites without further irritating the skin with your nails.

Ohhhhh. Now I'll know what's going on next time a see someone on the the street slappin' themselves in the forehead, or elsewhere.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top