JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy,

This for the boys that have been through this once or twice:

Have a SIG p229 Equinox .40 SW. Bought a barrel for .357 SIG. Both calibers print about 3-4" low at 25yds. It is my understanding that these sights are Truglo front, SIG rear (as supplied new). Front is marked, "T6-H3. I will assume this is a "Number 6" for height. Is a #8 higher or lower? (I fear the 8 is higher and I need something that is lower to raise the groups). OR: a rear sight that is higher. Midway sells complete sets only.

Suggestions? Verification of the number assignments? Truglo website not helpful. Trying to avoid paying for a whole set of sights.

Thanks.

Brownell's should have replacement sights - I think they're Meprolights just like Glock sights. The Brownell's price for the Meprolight #8 front sight is $39.10

Using a combat sight picture I presume, POI behind the front dot.
This explains Sig sights.

What all that boils down to is that a .40 or .45 needs .020" of sight differential between the front and rear and 9mm or .357 Sig needs .030" measured from the top of the sight to the top of the slide.
If the front and rear dovetails are cut to the same depth then you can use the 6/8 for .40&.45 and 8/8 for 9mm&.357
But they rarely are and you will see all kinds of numbers on guns.

You need to determine what sights are on it now to start with.
My .40 229 had 8/8 sights on it and was 4" low at 25 yds.
I wound up using an Ameriglo plain black rear for an XD that's .270" tall, equivalent to a Sig #10
The rear dovetail is cut at .095", all my other Sigs with a #8 rear are cut at .075"
The 229 Select I have has an 8 front and a 6 rear, the rear dovetail is .055" on that one.

If it looks like you will need a #10 rear I would look at Dawson Precision and the set they have for the Dark Elite.
The Dark Elites have a rear sight that is unique to that gun only and the rear dovetail is cut deeper than other Sigs.

Powermad, you nailed it early: "Using a combat sight picture..."

That alone should put me on target, or quite close. Do not despair that the rest of your knowledgeable reply will go wasted. I will refer to it more than once in the coming time period while I set this gun up the way I want.

For a guy whose most-often carry gun is an Uberti Remington 1890 Outlaw in .44-40 (a-horseback), "Combat sight picture" will not come naturally to me (certainly not in a "combat" situation). I fear the training curve will be too steep to overcome years of ingrained "six-o'clock hold". I also certainly prefer to have my point of impact (and the target: living or otherwise) visible to me at the shot. All my handguns (most for hunting) are sighted this way. I cannot envision myself capable of remembering to engage an entirely new sight picture in the (rare, I hope) scenarios where this SIG might actually be employed.

Again, thanks for your effort here. I spent an hour yesterday looking for precisely that breakdown of how all this stuff is arranged.

P-series Sigs are not bulls eye pistols, that's not to say they are not accurate.

I don't like 3 white dots and have tried quite a few different sights.
Trijicon HD XR and Ameriglo I-dots are my choice.

For sights that are more in tune to your style of shooting take a look at speedsights
BoeY7I2l.jpg
Just remember when ordering sights, do not go by what is listed, use the sight combo that is on your gun.
I ordered a set of speedsights for my Select in "9mm" and of course it wasn't even close.
I ordered sights for a few pistols at the same time and then figured out that ordering sights by caliber is a bad way to start the day. Quite a few wasted range trips over that before I figured it out. :oops:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top