JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So over the last year or so I have traveled an interesting path regarding my rifle collection. I will preface this with I am not an AR hater and have at least one in my collection (always will) and I carry one at work. That being said I think it has a number of weak points that given a choice I would rather have something else as my go to gun. I really like the simplicity and reliability of the AK platform but it also has a number of weaknesses that make it not perfect.

So just over a year ago I dicided I would find a better (for me) rifle platform. I spent a bunch of time online reading about the various other rifles out there and many of them are fantastic but also price is a concern. Initially I was planning to buy the ACR but identified some issues that I think still need to be resolved with this particulare good idea.

My perfect rifle. Then I happened across the Sig 556 and it looked like the perfect option for what I wanted. The heritage of the AK platform is obvious in this rifle but the weaknesses of the platform (IMO) are addressed and gone; quality sights, a better barrel, sight radius, safety lever and build quality to name a few. The weaknesses of the AR platform are also missing (again IMO) the DI gas system and a stronger bolt and hard to access charging syste. But would it really work.

I picked up a used Sig locally and started to spend some time with it. I modified this original rifle from the first owners build and continued to shoot. This original rifle has seen some 2K+ rounds from me and has performed fantastic, 100% no. During our first range session I had 5 failure to feed issues. But I traced this to a couple of mags and after a thourough cleaning and dump of those mags this rifle has been 100% and has seen some use with my suppressor as well.

Committed now. So I picked up another Sig 556, the SWAT version this time and have a 522 on the way as a companion/practise rifle. I have had one issue with the new 556. I am a lefty and the right side safety lever is difficult to reach (with the rifle on point) because of the location of the stock folding pin. This is not a problem on the original rifle as the lower is different. I have considered getting an older lower but am told there are after market options in the works to help with this, so I will wait. It is not a real problem anyway as I can manipulate the safety with my trigger/index finger or remove it before the rifle comes to point.

At any rate feel free to chime in but I thought my "journey" might be of help to others that are facing rifle choices:D

They are slick looking rifles and they have a lot of very good features but what turned me off was the difficulty of a barrel change/swap and cost of barrels if the barrels were based off an AR platform I would be all over the 556

Barrel change is not simple, but also something that I rarely do. I uslually change the barrel of an AR only if it came with a barrel I did not like for what ever reason. However, I usually only buy guns with a barrel I like and the one on the Sig is very nice.

I have an early 556 with gap between pistol grip and triggerguard. I't got military bolt/carrier and triger group + military gass block out front. I think the first 6-8 thousand rifles were made befor they ran out of parts. I like mine verry much. The steel upper makes an AR feel like a toy. And I trust it like my AR's. Never any jams in about 5-6 hundred rounds. I know thats not a lot but I've shot it upside down and sideways and could not make it jam. It sure acts like a AK. I just wish you could get good parts at a good price. It would be my SHTF rifle then. If I find another early one at a decent price I'll buy it and that will fix the parts problem.

Medic,
I don't think you would be sorry if you picked up a current production rifle. I am very impressed with the one I just got. Ran another 200 flawless rounds and really dig this rifle.