JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

SIG 2022/2340 40 S&W +P+++ (10mm in .40 brass) loads?

• Don't do it! You'll shoot your eye out kid!

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Give it a try - what's the worst that can happen?

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Can I have your SIGs after you blow your head off?

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
Reactions
Saw a YT vid some months ago of a guy loading up .40 brass in a Glock (with aftermarket fully supported chamber) to 10mm (or close) ballistics.

Kind of makes sense to me as the .40 brass is just as strong as 10mm brass, just shorter, so it will be higher pressures.

I would not want to do this with any of my "alloy" framed SIGs for fear of causing cracks/etc. in the rails and so on, but if Glock frames can handle the pressure/wear, then a 2022 should be able to also?

I have a 2022 in 9mm and a 2340 slide/barrel/etc. in .40 S&W.

Thoughts?

They pay engineers for a reason. In this problem domain, I paint inside the lines.

If you insist, be very careful, methodical, and invest in heavier recoil springs at the very least.

They pay engineers for a reason. In this problem domain, I paint inside the lines.

If you insist, be very careful, methodical, and invest in heavier recoil springs at the very least.
I am just wondering. I would probably only shoot commercial +P .40 loads instead.

One of my next goals for gun purchases is revolvers in semi-auto cartridges. Among those would probably be something like the S&W 610 in 10mm which can also shoot .40 S&W. I am thinking I will send the cylinder for my 460V in to have it cut for .45 ACP with moon clips. That leaves a 9mm revolver - would like to have a Ruger LCRx in 9mm but with a 3"+ barrel - maybe someday Ruger will make that.

I have a 2022 in 40. It was meant to service the French police I believe. I would imagine they torture tested pretty well. The question is, why?

Trying to vaporize something? Looking for bear loads?

Saw a YT vid some months ago of a guy loading up .40 brass in a Glock (with aftermarket fully supported chamber) to 10mm (or close) ballistics.

Kind of makes sense to me as the .40 brass is just as strong as 10mm brass, just shorter, so it will be higher pressures.

I would not want to do this with any of my "alloy" framed SIGs for fear of causing cracks/etc. in the rails and so on, but if Glock frames can handle the pressure/wear, then a 2022 should be able to also?

Thoughts?
People do that with .38 brass in .357 guns all the time. Careful though.
And I've never understood people's horror about shooting +p+ 9mm out of a same exact .40 gun that's lighter because of removing metal from the slide and barrel. The 9mm has the stoutest case web of any duty type round.

People do that with .38 brass in .357 guns all the time. Careful though.
And I've never understood people's horror about shooting +p+ 9mm out of a same exact .40 gun that's lighter because of removing metal from the slide and barrel. The 9mm has the stoutest case web of any duty type round.
I don't know about that, but the SIG classics are all pretty much the same guns. The slides and the barrels are different though to account for the different recoil impulses. All 10mm SIGs are steel frames though, whereas all of the SIGs I own are aluminum frames (can be had in steel) except for the 2022 which is polymer.

Probably close to whatever Winchester M1152 ball is.
Could be. There are no standards. 115gr +P is getting (according to Accurate) about 1250fps @ a bit north of 38K psi. I'm not sure what it would take to get 50fps more but I do know I can get over 1400fps at around 36K psi for the same bullet, if I just load it into a 357 Sig ... but I tend to shoot heavier.

FWIW, 36K is well below the limit for the Sig.

Could be. There are no standards. 115gr +P is getting (according to Accurate) about 1250fps @ a bit north of 38K psi. I'm not sure what it would take to get 50fps more but I do know I can get over 1400fps at around 36K psi for the same bullet, if I just load it into a 357 Sig ... but I tend to shoot heavier.

FWIW, 36K is well below the limit for the Sig.
Yep. By inference, a .357sig gun should handle the same velocities from a 9mm via a barrel swap since the 9mm brass is stronger. It's essentially just 9mm major, not saami tested.

I've been wanting to ream a .40 H&K USP out to 10mm for a while. Add in a stouter recoil spring and you'll be set. Is it a good idea? Probably not, but imagine if Elmer Kieth stopped just because "leave it to the engineers."
Worse case scenario.... You die. Although, that is the same worst case scenario that you wake up to every day.

Last Edited:

Thoughts?
It sounds like you want a 10mm, you should just go buy a Pistol or Revolver in 10mm.

I know the S&W revolvers are fantastic, I own an M69 and it's one of my favorite guns. Ruger makes a GP100 in 10mm. Both are good options. I'm sure there are others.

I'm don't know all who make 10mm pistols but I know there are a few 1911s in 10mm.

It sounds like you want a 10mm, you should just go buy a Pistol or Revolver in 10mm.

I know the S&W revolvers are fantastic, I own an M69 and it's one of my favorite guns. Ruger makes a GP100 in 10mm. Both are good options. I'm sure there are others.

I'm don't know all who make 10mm pistols but I know there are a few 1911s in 10mm.
The vids of the Glock in .40 shooting 10mm power loads got me interested, but then I did some research on the S&W 610 and learned of a few who have had them bored out further to 10mm Magnum. I wonder if the GP100 could be nored out to 10mm Magnum (which is roughly equivalent or even more powerful than .41 magnum).

I do also want revolvers in 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP, so a 10mm revolver that can handle .40 S&W fits in with those goals.

The thing with the 10mm semi was that SIG .40 semis are much higher cap than a P220 in 10mm. I do not care for striker fired handguns anymore after having shot DA/SA SIGs, but I do not know of any "hi cap" 10mm semis that are DA/SA (P220 is 8+1) - doesn't mean there aren't any, I just don't know that there are any.

Been a while since I've owned or shot .40. Is there such a thing?
I think there may not be a +P SAAMI spec for .40 S&W, but there are boutique ammo manufacturers (e.g., Buffalo Bore) who market +P ammo for .40 S&W.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top