JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And there are plasma guns that aren't any good other than hitting bottles. The point of technology is finding new ways of doing things then improving the new way.

Yes, I know. But why even let something like this into the wild with such poor performance?

Today we launch an electric car into space on a solid fuel rocket... tomorrow we're building warp drives or artificial worm holes and hopping galaxies bringing American exceptionalism and a Republican governance to the untamed and oppressed masses :D And our Space Force ground troops may well be carrying a plasma weapon or rail gun that traces its roots back to what they will consider a toy or party favor.

Today we launch an electric car into space on a solid fuel rocket... tomorrow we're building warp drives or artificial worm holes and hopping galaxies bringing American exceptionalism and a Republican governance to the untamed and oppressed masses :D And our Space Force ground troops may well be carrying a plasma weapon or rail gun that traces its roots back to what they will consider a toy or party favor.

Exactly. Or more like a stone's throw. :D

I remember reading in an American Rifleman article about using liquid with electric primers (IIRC) to generate plasma to propel the projectile. The premise was that they could control the combustion such that it would quickly reach a level and then the combustion would maintain that level until such time as the projectile would leave the barrel. IIRC they were asserting that it was lower pressures and that they were getting 5000 fps. Also, they could control the pressure dynamically so you could dial it up or down to get the velocity you wanted regardless of the cartridge - want low velocity, just dial it down and shoot subsonic with the same cartridge.

This was quite some time ago - at least a decade or two. Not seen anything since about this.

As for gun laws - I would bet that if other propulsion sources become effective enough to replace conventional gunpowder, that the laws would be amended to include them.

This jogged a memory from around the same time frame (late-90s). The Russians were working on an experimental rifle that worked on the same principle. And it produced insane velocities. I wish I remember what the project was called, because it would be an interesting read. Presumable it was never perfected, because I haven't seen anything new since.

All this is very cool...and while I am not against technology and advancement...
I'll keep on using Powder , Patch and ball , along with flints and or caps.
The flintlock has been in continuous use* for centuries...and still makes a useful and viable firearm.

*Admittedly it has fell out of favor for mainstream use ...but it still never completely went away or stopped being used....
I am not sure that many other firearms , can make that claim...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top