JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SPACE FORCE: An Electromagnetic Coilgun C/O ARCFLASH LABS - The Firearm Blog

3E119181-8E7C-4984-B713-7E9F7C46CD10-768x426.jpg

Muzzle velocity 45 m/s or 148 fps

Looks cobbled together to me. Nothing fits correctly. May I be the first to call fake news on this one?

.25 cal, 4.6 gram (`75 grain) steel projectile at 45 m/s (~175 fps) for ~5 ft lbs leaving the barrel. This thing is scary.

At 5.5 pounds I think I'll stick with my Colt .25 auto. Only place it beats the Colt is in burst rate.
I hope my math is wrong, if not...:rolleyes:

Not very powerful, but give the tech 10-20 years and we may see them as an alternative to firearms.

Two things come to mind as limiting factors:

The power of the coils
The energy density of the power source and its ability to deliver power in a very short time to the coils.

Not very powerful, but give the tech 10-20 years and we may see them as an alternative to firearms. ...

These are worthwhile pursuits. Most gun control legislation regulates "fire" arms. If there is no fire, they are outside those laws and not covered, not banned. For example, WA's new initiative has a "semiautomatic assault weapon" definition that specifically requires that some of the energy generated by the combusting powder actuate the bolt. OK ... imagine a weapon wherein the bolt is actuated by a different power source (battery, air/CO2, a separate primer/powder charge) -- that is NOT a semiautomatic under the law even if it shoots like one.

There IS a dude on YouTube ( banned) who claimed to have a railgun capable of 900 FPS with 400 gr tungsten rod projectiles! When I saw the video, it sure did look impressive, don't know if he was fudging the stats, but it looked pretty ligit!
Sooner or later, some one will figure it out, by by gun powder, casings, and primers!

I remember reading in an American Rifleman article about using liquid with electric primers (IIRC) to generate plasma to propel the projectile. The premise was that they could control the combustion such that it would quickly reach a level and then the combustion would maintain that level until such time as the projectile would leave the barrel. IIRC they were asserting that it was lower pressures and that they were getting 5000 fps. Also, they could control the pressure dynamically so you could dial it up or down to get the velocity you wanted regardless of the cartridge - want low velocity, just dial it down and shoot subsonic with the same cartridge.

This was quite some time ago - at least a decade or two. Not seen anything since about this.

As for gun laws - I would bet that if other propulsion sources become effective enough to replace conventional gunpowder, that the laws would be amended to include them.

I saw a buddies attempt at a rail gun, he had a series of high density coils wired in sequence, seemed a good idea, but he couldn't ever get a good "Start" from a snap solenoid, and then the timing had limits, there was no way to accelerate the projectiles in sequence!

Also theres this, but I am a bit skeptical of authenticity...

The plasma bit is dubious at best, but again an electrically fired projectile seems cool.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top