Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

shotgun misfire

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by gunfreak, Jun 28, 2012.

1. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

My friend has a Ithaca 12 gauge if I remember right, when he has a load in and runs the slide forward it fires. What would make it do this?

2. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Firing pin is stuck in the fire position (forward). Could be gunk holding it in place, or broken, or several other things...

3. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

fixed it, extremely dirty. Hose it down and it's good. Bonus, guy said I can keep it. It's a Western Field 12ga. Got some rust on it but, I'll get that off and duracoat it.

4. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Some might think that "problem" to be a "plus". Just Rack and Fire as fast as you can.

The old Winchester 97 was favored by lots of LEO's because of it's ability to fire when the forend was pushed forward with the trigger held down. I know a State Patrol officer that was really miffed when they took his away from him and issued an AR-15 in it's place. He said that old '97 in the scabbard across the front edge of his seat made night patrols a lot more comfortable. Dutch loaded with Buck and Slug.

5. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Model 37 Ithaca will fire the same way.