JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been wanting to shoot a match for a while now, after reading some more about them online I found one at my local range. I missed the USPSA match that was last Sunday, but found out they hold a steel challenge on the first Saturday of every month.
I'm hooked! It was probably the most fun I've had with a pistol. All the people were very helpful and supportive. I recommend that if you haven't shot a match to get out and try it.

I shot my Ruger CMD (my EDC), used Wilson combat ETM 8rnd mags and my leather holster and double mag holder (everything the same as my normal carry). There were 5 of the 8 standard stages set up.

My nerves really got to me at the match, my first couple of strings on each stage were a little rough, I was just trying to go too fast. After the first couple of strings I calmed down and remember the "basics" of shooting, sight picture, breathing, trigger control.

I can't wait for the next match! I joined the local club (Yakima pistol rifle assn.) so I could use their targets and get some practice in on the stages.

My final score was 181.37
Outer limits 47.47 (the only stage I had to do an emergency reload)
Five to go 30.85 (the first stage I shot)
Accelerator 29.14
Speed option 36.92
Pendulum 36.99.

I finished 9th out of 15 in the "limited" class.

nice shooting for your first time out.
We had our monthly Speed Steel match today at Tri County Gun Club.
Always a good group of chuckle-heads, and always a good time.
Enjoy...it's addicting.

Thanks. I was going to make my own steel but found out its only $20/year to join YRPA and use their steel.

I'm already looking for more matches to shoot. The next match I will be able to shoot at my local club is a USPSA match.

Tri County has their Speed Steel matches on the first Sunday of every month (Like yesterday).
Very simple...and open to all.
Bring Ear and Eye protection, firearm (.22 pistol or carbine, or centerfire pistol) and plenty of ammo.
Pistol guys shoot close to 250 rounds, carbine guys closer to 200.
Matches start around 9:00, best to get there by 8:30 to check in. Usually done around 1:30. Bring your own food/drink.
$12 registration fee, no fee to get into the range.

@Meridian7750 - Does TriCounty Steel require a first time shooter / safety briefing - and if so what time is that run?

I am planning to shoot steel once the rainy season returns ...

Negative...the match director gives a safety briefing to all shooters at about 9:00, but there are no special briefings specific to new shooters.
It really is a fun, friendly match. Hope to see you there.

I have been to tri county hundreds of times with my buddy (he has the membership and I dont) and he's getting out of shooting so I can't go anymore. I want to go to a tri county speed steel match and compete and was just wondering is the gate open on match day and if not how do you get in? Is it at the action range?

I have been to tri county hundreds of times with my buddy (he has the membership and I dont) and he's getting out of shooting so I can't go anymore. I want to go to a tri county speed steel match and compete and was just wondering is the gate open on match day and if not how do you get in? Is it at the action range?

you can wait by the gate for a member to use his/her keycard to open the gates then just tail them in. It might be worth reaching out to the match director and see if he is willing to give out the code to the gates. And yes, it's in the action range.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews