JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a pretty useless 20 ga single shot shotgun that cost me about $100 NIB. I was going to get rid of it, but then I thought about using it as a "close-in" gun for when I'm calling coyotes. Seems like it would the perfect candidate for shortening to 26" overall length, with an 18" barrel. Of course, I would make sure to leave a half inch or so margin of error on both measurements so as not to incur the wrath of the BATF.

I can't find where there are any state regulations that would apply to these measurements. Does anybody here know of any?

The state does not regulate barrel lenght the feds do

18" for shotguns
16" for rifles

Measured from the closed bolt face normally with a dowel down the barrel

I was thinking about using a wheel type pipe cutter, then finishing it with a round stone and jewelers files. The pipe cutter should make a square cut. De-blurring and rounding over shouldn't be difficult. It is already missing the front bead, so I was going to make a new one anyway and silver solder it in.

Mark the spot for the new front sight before you cut the barrel. Easier to mark it by holding a straight edge from the old sight hole and centered on the rear of the barrel (firing pin location is a good way to check center on the rear of the barrel).
Pipe cutter works, but can leave a raised ring on the end of the barrel. Normally not in the way, but it can be noticeable.

Mark the spot for the new front sight before you cut the barrel. Easier to mark it by holding a straight edge from the old sight hole and centered on the rear of the barrel (firing pin location is a good way to check center on the rear of the barrel).
Pipe cutter works, but can leave a raised ring on the end of the barrel. Normally not in the way, but it can be noticeable.

Good suggestion on the new front sight. In a former life I've run hundreds of miles of stainless and mild steel tubing. If you're careful and don't try to cut too deep on each pass you won't get much of a bulge from the cutter. I plan to polish and re-blue the whole gun anyway. The finish on it now is pretty crude.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top