JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have had this pistol coming up on 3 years now. And today was the first time I have taken it to the range to see if it worked. So here are my thoughts on this much maligned pistol.

The magazines are a royal PITA to load what seams like way to much spring pressure.
The Slide when first I tried to charge the chamber did not want to come back far enough to pickup a round. I got around this by locking the slide open with the mag out and using the slide release to chamber the first round. This cleared up some or at least got better as the pistol got some rounds through it.
I was using my own handloads started with some 124gr lead with 4.5grs of Unique at 25 yards the sights were about 5" low to be expected. Windage was dead on.
I then switched up to some 115gr Hornady HP's with 5.1 grains of Unique The pistol got a little snappier in the hand. Point of aim improved by about 2"
Last I ran some 115grain cupped base Coated lead at 6 grains of Unique and the pistol got real snappy and we noticed the little grip safety was now making tiny nips at the thumb web on our hands. Not enough to be a big pain but after 4-5 magazines it left a slight red mark. Not like my Star Model B that if the web of your hand gets to high that spur hammer will try to bite a chunk out of you.
I ran about 60 rounds through it and it never failed to chamber or fire No problems past the initial hard to get the slide to pickup the first round.
I will most likely work on the magazines to relieve some of the spring tension. I am also thinking this pistol will like loads with 115-124gr slugs and 4-4.5 grains of Unique. Dose not seam suited to real hot loads except in its SELF DEFENSE roll.

All and all I am quite happy with it and it will soon be in my EC rotation with my Charter Arms Undercover .38spl. Well after I get a couple hundred rounds through it and work out the little kinks.

This is one of the second release of second generation how ever you want to say it pistols. Its funny from Remingtons point of view this pistol was a bit of a disaster when it was first put on the market it was all sorts of problems and managed to really sour the market. When they got their heads out of their behinds and fixed them the blush was gone and I was able to buy this one from Sportsmans for $250 A very good price for a compact 9mm with its design features.

WOW I see now its been discontinued completely guess its time to by a couple more factory magazines before they become impossible to find. OH well I own a bunch of firearms you can't buy new any more guess this is another.

LOL, good luck finding factory magazines. I bought a bunch before Remington bit the dust, and haven't seen any since.
The two R51's that I have are very particular with the geometry of the bullet. I found, if you drop and reload a magazine while the slide is in battery, the top bullet's nose will get tipped down from the feed lips, and without the proper geometry, the next round will jam on the feed ramp. Not only that, you really have to slam the mag home or it won't lock in, and may drop out on you when you take the next shot.
Agreed that it gets very snappy with full-house loads. I don't recall having a problem with the grip safety causing any problems.
I love the narrow frame and how well it conceals.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top