JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sounds like Senator Ron Wyden is for the "Universal" background checks. See letter from Ron Wyden below:

Thank you for contacting me with your opposition to gun control. I appreciate hearing from you.

The recent mass shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School and Clackamas Town Center are tragedies, and as the father of three children under six, I cannot imagine the horror and heartbreak faced by the families of the young victims. Like many Oregonians, I believe in the right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. I am also committed to working for a number of policies that will help prevent these tragedies in the future and protect public safety.

First, I hope you can join me in supporting more mental health care services. My late brother Jeff suffered from a serious mental illness. My family was constantly aware of the potential for violence that Jeff's condition presented. As a country it is long past time to prioritize the awareness, diagnosis and treatment of mental health issues. Those with emotional and psychological disorders need our help. It is time to establish, once and for all, a system through which individuals who are found to be a potential threat to themselves or others can receive the treatment that they need. It also means assisting family members, friends, teachers, and other observers--including gun sellers and range owners--when they sense something is amiss and that an individual might need professional help.

Many gun owners already believe that gun rights include responsibilities. I believe gun owners have a responsibility to secure their weapons and prevent illegal use. Gun owners should have the responsibility to demonstrate proficiency with their firearm and familiarity with laws regarding them. In households with unlicensed individuals, gun owners must keep their firearms under lock and key. All owners have the responsibility to ensure that their own sales and transfers are conducted within a system to prevent dangerous individuals from obtaining weapons. Sales or transfers of dangerous weapons should not be conducted outside a well regulated retail system that checks for detailed criminal and mental health history. The federal background check database must be made substantially more accurate and comprehensive. This system must also include legal protection for licensed dealers who refuse a questionable sale.

This is not a simple problem with a single solution. Each solution should balance rights and responsibilities, promote responsible gun ownership and address the woeful lack of mental health services across the nation. I intend to do everything possible to move forward before our nation loses more of our children to yet another tragedy.

I’m grateful for your thoughts on gun ownership and will keep them in mind as we begin the new Congress and debate mental health issues and any gun safety measures. Again, thank you for keeping me apprised of the issues that are important to you. If I may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Ron Wyden
United States Senator

"In households with unlicensed individuals, gun owners must keep their firearms under lock and key."

I think we have more to worry about than universal background checks here. What kind of "license" is Senator Wyden referring to here? My license is the Second Amendment.

Translation: I am opposed to gun ownership.
Wyden is no different than any of other the senators with a D next to their name. They think there is some magical "reasonable regulation" that isn't covered in the other 20,000 gun laws on the books.
They refuse to admit that the ONLY thing that could have prevented or lessened the shootings at CTC or Sandy Hook is an armed good-guy (or girl) intervening on-site. Period. Not more regulations or restrictions.

At least his form letters are consistent. Where's that debate on mental health issues?

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/116133-senator-ron-waydens-response-my-letter.html
Dear Mr.........

Thank you for contacting me with your opposition to gun control. I appreciate hearing from you.

The recent mass shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School and Clackamas Town Center are tragedies, and as the father of three children under six, I cannot imagine the horror and heartbreak faced by the families of the young victims. Like many Oregonians, I believe in the right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. I am also committed to working for a number of policies that will help prevent these tragedies in the future and protect public safety.

First, I hope you can join me in supporting more mental health care services. My late brother Jeff suffered from a serious mental illness. My family was constantly aware of the potential for violence that Jeff's condition presented. As a country it is long past time to prioritize the awareness, diagnosis and treatment of mental health issues. Those with emotional and psychological disorders need our help. It is time to establish, once and for all, a system through which individuals who are found to be a potential threat to themselves or others can receive the treatment that they need. It also means assisting family members, friends, teachers, and other observers--including gun sellers and range owners--when they sense something is amiss and that an individual might need professional help.

Many gun owners already believe that gun rights include responsibilities. I believe gun owners have a responsibility to secure their weapons and prevent illegal use. Gun owners should have the responsibility to demonstrate proficiency with their firearm and familiarity with laws regarding them. In households with unlicensed individuals, gun owners must keep their firearms under lock and key. All owners have the responsibility to ensure that their own sales and transfers are conducted within a system to prevent dangerous individuals from obtaining weapons. Sales or transfers of dangerous weapons should not be conducted outside a well regulated retail system that checks for detailed criminal and mental health history. The federal background check database must be made substantially more accurate and comprehensive. This system must also include legal protection for licensed dealers who refuse a questionable sale.

This is not a simple problem with a single solution. Each solution should balance rights and responsibilities, promote responsible gun ownership and address the woeful lack of mental health services across the nation. I intend to do everything possible to move forward before our nation loses more of our children to yet another tragedy.

I'm grateful for your thoughts on gun ownership and will keep them in mind as we begin the new Congress and debate mental health issues and any gun safety measures. Again, thank you for keeping me apprised of the issues that are important to you. If I may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Ron Wyden
United States Senator

I'd love to see the mentally ill "pet" class list turned over so those that perform background checks could actually match the lists. The fact is that it is never going to happen. The mentally ill are a protected class and, therefore, their identities will never be listed.

BTW, Wyden lives in NY so I'm not surprised he's towing the Bloomberg line.

Wyden said "I'm grateful for your thoughts on gun ownership and will keep them in mind as we begin the new Congress and debate mental health issues and any gun safety measures. Again, thank you for keeping me apprised of the issues that are important to you. If I may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me."

I have yet to see any "gun safety measures" all I see is gun-control on the law abiding!!! He & the ret of them can RIH for all I care!!!

Whinedon just got re-elected and has another 6 years before he faces another challenge. He is banking on the short memories of his constituents when it comes to his current voting record. I don't think it will make much difference in the average OR voters minds in any case as it seems we have entered the dangerous territory of "people voting themselves other peoples' money".

Merkley is in more imminent danger when it comes to being ousted by a challenger from the Republican party. But again the same population that voted him in last time (PDX Metro) is not paying attention to his votes-they want their free stuff!

If we will elect Merkley we will elect anybody as long as there is a "D" next to their name. Wyden will be a Senator for as long as he wants.

Wyden sent me the same form letter. He does not care what Oregonians think, he just wants to ingrate himself to the presently ruling elite. That way he will be in the front of the line for his free stuff.

As i did about 2 months ago

Yeah, I've gotten that form email from him a few times too, every time I send one of GOA's pre-written emails to Wyden and Merkley I get the same thing back. Both need to be voted out next time they're up for reelection, but with Portland being overrun with liberals that may be easier said than done.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top