JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Maybe some have already seen this...

*** Please notice publish date of 03/28/12

<broken link removed>

March 28, 2012
Impressions on the Bonneville Dam
Sea Shepherd Volunteers Visit the Site of the Proposed Sea Lion Culls
By Veteran Sea Shepherd Volunteer Erwin Vermeulen

Last weekend Sea Shepherd Conservation Society volunteers visited the Bonneville Dam for the first time after NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service announced on March 15 their irrational intention to kill protected Californian sea lions in an attempt to protect endangered salmon.

The visitor’s center at the dam tells the sad story of the decline of the salmon:

“Soon after the first white settlers established homes along the Columbia River Gorge, salting and curing salmon became a lucrative business.

"Industry modernized the canoe-drawn Indian seine into a horse-drawn version, boats were developed who could carry thousands of pounds of fish, drift and stationary gill nets were set in migration routes to entangle fish within the twine mesh and fishermen captured salmon in various styles of fish traps. But the most ingenious laborsaving device invented by commercial fisheries was the fish wheel.

"At least 76 fish wheels were operating along the Columbia River by the turn of the century. The fish apparatus would run from dawn until dusk every day from spring through the fall salmon runs.

"Canneries would pack 1000 one-pound cans of salmon daily and by the 1880’s, with the advent of refrigerated rail cars, fresh iced salmon could be shipped east along the newly completed Northern Pacific Railroad transcontinental line.”

According to the information at the visitor centre, 200 years ago 12 million salmon (each year) would pass through the area, which is now the Bonneville dam; today less than a million pass.

The US Fish & Wildlife Service sums it up this way:

“America’s pristine waters once supported plentiful and robust fisheries. Our Nation’s national treasures appeared to be abundant without end. The United States fueled the industrial revolution with resources of water, timber, minerals, and wildlife. Then the fish began to disappear…”

It is not only the fisheries that decimated the salmon population. Habitat alterations, irrigation, silt, pesticides, fertilizer, chemicals, sewage, livestock, non-native species, and fish farming all had their impact; an all-human impact.

The sea lions are not responsible for the decline of the salmon. In 1805 Lewis and Clark encountered harbor seals and possibly sea lions near Celilo Falls on the Columbia River. Where the predators used the bottleneck of the falls to catch their share of salmon then, they use the bottleneck of the fish ladders at the dam now to do the same. A balance that we humans have destroyed.

Killing sea lions to protect salmon is an injustice towards the sea lions. The figures provided by scientists show that the impact of sea lions on the returning salmon is small compared to that of the fisheries and the dam itself.

At the dam there were only a few Steelhead trout in the fish ladder when we visited. The spring Chinook salmon run is expected to start in the next few weeks. We saw a California sea lion and a Steller sea lion at the dam. An employee of the US Department of Agriculture was carrying out hazing with rubber bullets and firecrackers. According to the USDA employee there were only three to four Californian sea lions at the dam at this moment and a few Steller sea lion, which being legally protected, are not included in the intended cull. He expects the sea lion numbers to increase when the salmon run starts. A troubling sight was that the traps are in place. With these traps the sea lions will be caught and this capture might lead to euthanasia.

This is unacceptable!

As Sea Shepherd’s Director of Investigations and Intelligence Scott West said last week: “We have experience with documenting senseless slaughter. Perhaps we will need to institute a “Dam Guardian” campaign at the Bonneville Dam. How many volunteers would be willing to come to the dam and help? Stay tuned.”

Click here to sign and share the petition

It would be different if the seal/sea lions populations weren't out of control due to the MMPA. There is no reason whatsoever for the Kalifornia Sea Lion to be protected any longer, as their numbers are far from threatened, and they have become a nuisance up and down the west coast for various reasons.
Even Stellar Seals have recovered, and NOAA wants them removed from the ESA protected list.

It's time to repeal/rewrite the Marine Mammal Protection Act, and allow them to be hunted/harvested again. I am sure there are numerous indigenous tribes that would welcome the opportunity to do this.
Heck, I might even give it a try.

As for the sea shepherds, they are kind of like tre-arrow. Stop giving them air/tv time, and they will fade into the obscurity of irrelevance, where they belong.

Simple solution... club the sea shepherd people and feed them to the sea lions. WIN WIN

Ha! Ha! Now that's funny.

Darn sea lions are taking the fish off the hooks up in the Oregon City area. Nasty suckers just cruise around the boats until someone catches a fish and then goes for it. I hear they eat 30+ fish a day, that's a lot of fish and there are a lot of them hanging out on the docks now. Never been here before according to the old timers.

The sea shepherd people need to get a real job and/or go chase the whales.

The Sea Shepards can lick my Pucker! The sea lions have Learned to hunt at the fish Ladders.there are Sea lions that stay there year around not just when the runs are passing through. When the Salmon are not plentifull they predate on Sturgeon. I have witnessed many of our 10' pluss fish getting ripped to shreds by them.(our Grandchildern will not see the replacement of those fish,some of them are over 100 years old at that size) Sea lions are smarter than dogs,Is what I keep hearing, Fine lets teach them not to be 135 miles up stream..they are not Sea lions at that point they are river lions nad there are to darn many of them.

Forget Sea Shepard... They have repeatedly proven they are out of touch with reality. Sea Lions have rebounded their populations, at the irreplaceable expense of our Wild and native runs. Shipping them to California dosen't work, every other option has failed as well. Heck, I would volunteer some time and ammunition to help eradicate them from the dam areas.

I'm probably a minority here, but after a few wars and 60 some odd years under my belt; I've come to realize that I just don't want to kill animals that I don't eat.
Leave the damn things alone.

I laugh out loud when the She Sheperds go to the other side of the world to tell Scandinavians or Eskimos that their way of life is wrong. Whales are a resource, just like everything else on the planet. This planet is here for us. We are not here for it. I am completely against killing a rhino for its horn and leaving the rest to rot. I am completely against folks killing elephants for the ivory. I have no problem with whales being taken and used properly. The one episode of the show that I viewed showed them at the base of a cliff, where Pilot whales had been discarded by the locals(Norway, I believe). They acted as if some horrible attrocity happened. Don't the people in these tiny, frozen communities need the whales for everything from food to fuel? Isn't it amazing how affluence allows us to consider the "rights" of food? Please don't misunderstand. I am not for the killing of animals sheerly for their hide, horn or teeth. The arrogance to travel to foreign lands and tell them how to live is shocking. Who do they think they are? The US Government? Kip.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top