JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Considering the kind of "Republicans" we have in this state? It's probably the best deal you're gonna get to get a foot in the door... WSRP has always been a land of Milquetoast Moderates and Pale Pastels, not fire-breathing Conservative Evangelists like Cruz or Lee.

There is still some hope for this to be turned in gun owners favor. I have reminded my elected rep Rolfes, during the fragmented debates on 1588 she told me she would support certain exemptions for persons with a license, and now was her chance.

~Whitney

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GOAL Post 2017-11
Legislative Update from Olympia 17 March 2017
SECOND HALF OF SESSION BEGINS
ONE BILL MOVES
BILLS SCHEDULED FOR HEARINGS
SECOND CHAMBER POLICY COMMITTEE CUT-OFF

The committee hearing/vote/floor session cycle has started all over again, after the 8 March original chamber cut-off. As House bills move through the Senate and vice versa, the next critical cut-off date is Wednesday, 29 March -- nearly two weeks off. The second half of the long session is off to a slow start. Of the five gun bills we are tracking, two had public hearings (1612 and 5268) and one passed out of committee (5552).

Senate Bill 5552, relaxing SOME of the background checks under I-594, passed out of 5552 amended and out of the House Judiciary Committee on what appeared to be a unanimous a voice vote on Wednesday. The bill was amended in committee to add firearms loaned to veterans color guards to the list of background check exemptions.

Recall this is the bill that COULD be amended to add CPL holders to the exemption list. That would change it from minor tweaks to a major pro-gun bill. But that's going to take pressure from constituents. The bill can be further amended on the House floor at the end of March/early April..

At this point, two bills (1100, 1501) are scheduled for public hearings and an executive session for 5268. Details below.

BILL STATUS/GOAL POSITION:

SHB 1100 CPL renewal notice Blake (D-19) S. L&J SUPPORT

HB 1501 Illegal purchase of firearms Hansen (D-23) S. L&J SUPPORT

2SHB 1612 Suicide prevention Orwall (D-33) S. HumSerSUPPORT

SB 5268 CPL renewal notice Takko (D-19) H. Jud. SUPPORT

SB 5552 Certain exemptions to I-594 Pedersen (D-43) H. Rules SUPPORT

L&J = Law & Justice, Jud = Judiciary, HumSer = Human Services, Aprop = Appropriations, Fin = Finance, W&M = Ways & Means "S" before a bill number indicates Substitute (amended).

PUBLIC HEARING SCHEDULED:

21 Mar Senate Law & Justice Senate Hearing Room "4" John A. Cherberg Bldg
10:00 a.m. HB 1100

22 Mar House Judiciary House Hearing Room "A" John L. O'Brien Bldg
8:00 a.m. SB 5268 (executive session)

23 Mar Senate Law & Justice Senate Hearing Room "4" John L. O'Brien Bldg
10:00 a.m. SB 1501

LEGISLATIVE HOT LINE: You may reach your Representatives and Senator by calling the Legislative Hotline at 1-800-562-6000. Toll free!!! The hearing impaired may obtain TDD access at 1-800-635-9993. Also toll free!!!

1-800-562-6000 TDD 1-800-635-9993

OTHER DATA: Copies of pending legislation (bills), legislative schedules and other information are available on the legislature's web site at "www.leg.wa.gov". Bills are available in Acrobat (.pdf) format. You may download a free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader from Adobe's web site (Adobe: Creative, marketing and document management solutions). You may also obtain hard copy bills, initiatives, etc, in the mail from the Legislative Bill Room FREE OF CHARGE by calling 1-360-786-7573. Copies of bills may also be ordered toll free by calling the Legislative Hotline at (800) 562-6000. You may also hear floor and committee hearing action live at TVW, Washington States' Public Affairs Network – Public Affairs Made Public (you need "RealAudio" to do this, available free at the TVW web site). Each bill's web page contains a link to any public hearing at the bottom of the page.

By reading the House and Senate "bill reports" (hbr, sbr) for each bill, you can see how individual committee members voted. By reading the "roll call" for each bill, you can see how the entire House or Senate voted on any bill. The beauty of the web site is that ALL this information is available, on line, to any citizen.

GET THE WORD OUT: If you want to subscribe to the GOAL Post by e-mail, send a message to "[email protected]". Please pass GOAL Post on to anyone you believe may have an interest in protecting our rights. Better yet, make a couple of copies of this message, post it on your gun club's bulletin board, and leave copies with your local gun shop(s). PERMISSION IS HEREBY GRANTED TO DUPLICATE OR REDISTRIBUTE GOAL POST PROVIDED IT IS REPRODUCED IN ITS ENTIRETY WITHOUT TEXTUAL MODIFICATION AND CREDIT IS GIVEN TO GOAL. I can be reached at "[email protected]" or by telephone at (425) 985-4867. Unfortunately, I am unable to mail hard copy GOAL Post to individuals. Limited numbers of hard copies MAY be available at the Second Amendment Foundation book table at WAC gun shows.

If you believe you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail me at "[email protected]" with the words "Unsubscribe GOAL Post" in the subject line. I will remove your name immediately. Keep in mind GOAL Post is also published on several gun lists. If you received GP via a list, you must contact that list's admin to unsubscribe.

Upcoming WAC gun show(s):
Puyallup 25-26 March
Puyallup 29-30 April

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men."

Article 1, Section 24

Constitution of the State of Washington

Copyright 2017 Gun Owners Action League of WA

Made it past Judiciary, now we have to get past Rules!

Rules Committee:
Chopp, Frank (D-43) - Capitol Hill/Fremont/U District (butthole of Seattle pinkoism) - one of the key players in buggering up this state. Expect active resistance via full means of the Chair's power.
Kristiansen, Dan (R-39) - Sedro-Wooley/West Slope of North Cascades - mountainfolk and foothillers tend to like their guns, so he goes against this at his own career risk.
Kretz, Joel (R-7) - Tonasket/Colville/NE corner of state - probably will be with us.
Bergquist, Steve (D-11) - Georgetown/Tukwila/E. Renton - do not have high hopes with this guy.
Farrell, Jessyn (D-46) - Lake City - typical urban Bluetard, need I say more?
Haler, Larry (R-8) - Pearl/Richland/Kennewick - Dry Sider, so looks hopeful.
Hargrove, Mark (R-47) - Auburn/Covington/East Hill Kent - fairly moderate area.
Harmsworth, Mark (R-44) - Lake Stevens/Snohomish/Mill Creek - probably not going to be a problem.
Holy, Jeff (R-6) - Fairchild AFB/Nine Mile Falls/southern Spokane suburbs - ditto.
Johnson, Norm (R-14) - Goldendale/Yakama Res./Gifford Pinchot NF - same story.
Koster, John (R-39) - see district-mate Kristiansen.
Kraft, Vicki (R-17) - Mill Plain/Brush Prairie/E. Vancouver Metro - worryingly close to a growing Blue Tumor.
Lovick, John (D-44) - Same district as Harmsworth, but much less faith in this legislator. Expect him to vote against.
McBride, Joan (D-48) - Redmond/Medina - Looks like a Hipster Lib, from a district of 'em, probably votes accordingly.
McDonald, Joyce (R-25) - Puyallup/South Hill/Midland - Generally reliable on voting the right way. Her district borders on Cruz Country.
Orwall, Tina (D-33, Speaker Pro Tem) - Kent/Des Moine/SeaTac - NO friend of ours!
Pettigrew, Eric (D-37, Majority Caucus Chair) - Renton/Columbia City/just south of Capitol Hill - see Orwall.
Riccelli, Marcus (D-3) - Spokane Downtown - could go either way, but as an urbanite my bet is with the rest of Team Blue.
Springer, Larry (D-45, Deputy Majority Leader) - Totem Lake/Sammammish/Duvall - Duvall is pretty conserative, but Sammammish is highly Affluenza Afflicted, and I bet Springer wouldn't have rose into Leadership if he didn't buck his constituents when Party bosses demand. No confidence.
Stanford, Derek (D-1) - Bothell/Mountlake Terrace/Maltby - unsure but un-optimistic.
Stonier, Monica Jurado (D-49) - Vancouver Metro - maybe, but don't have high hopes with Portland influence joining Seattle's.
Sullivan, Pat (D-47, Majority Leader) - While he shares a district with Hargrove, ABANDON ALL HOPE with this guy.
Tarleton, Gael (D-36, Majority Floor Leader) - Ballard/Queen Anne - WRITEOFF.
Wilcox, J.T. (R-2) Orting/Mt. Rainier/Yelm - Cruz Country, as Red as the Wet Side gets.
Wylie, Sharon (D-49) - see district-mate Stonier.

No further meetings for Rules scheduled, so unless they bushwhack us we're boned. Am I the only one who finds it curious that Rules is almost exclusively the realm of the Giant Toilet Bowl and similar Blue Tumors?

Committee partisan alignment is 14 D/11 R. We can assume we're more likely to see a pro-gun Dem than an anti-gun Republican, and we just need two to tell Chopp to Suck It, probably more likely to find those votes from the Olympic Peninsula or the Dry Side (who I've marked with asterisks above) than the Giant Toilet Bowl or Vancouver/PDX Metro.

Anybody else have anything to add on any of these jokers to confirm or contradict my gut profiles?

I strongly urge Washington residents to contact your representatives now, urging the support of SB 5552. You can use the "Comment on this Bill" link on the right side of the page. The amended bill is due for a house vote soon. It would make our C&R licenses valid again, along with some other improvements. Here's the link: Washington State Legislature

Griff

GOAL Alert 2017-1

Legislative Update from Olympia 6 April 2017

PROPOSED AMENDMENT TO SB 5552

Rep. John Koster (R-39) has proposed a floor amendment to Senate Bill 5552 that would waive I-594 background check requirements for transfers of firearms if both transferor and transferee hold a valid Washington concealed pistol license (CPL).

This is a common sense amendment that fully complies with the stated intent of I-594, that the buyers of firearms are subjected to a comprehensive background check. In fact, the background check conducted to issue a CPL is more comprehensive than that conducted by an FFL per I-594 requirements. This common sense measure more than satisfies the I-594 background check requirement.

PLEASE CALL YOUR TWO REPRESENTATIVES ASAP AND ASK THEM TO SUPPORT THE KOSTER AMENDMENT, EITHER NUMBER 438 OR 439 (BOTH ARE MIRROR-IMAGE AMENDMENTS).

Contact information for your Representatives may be found at Washington State Legislature or at House of Representatives Members by District. Or you can call the Legislative Hotline at 1-800-562-6000 TDD 1-800-635-9993

SB 5552 may be called up for a floor vote at any time. Please act quickly.

Upcoming WAC gun show(s):

Puyallup 29-30 April

Monroe 6-7 May

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men."

Article 1, Section 24

Constitution of the State of Washington

Copyright 2017 Gun Owners Action League of WA

~Whitney

Not holding my breath but........you never know what can happen in Olympia.
~Whitney
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rep. John Koster (R-39) has proposed a floor amendment to Senate Bill 5552 that would waive I-594 background check requirements for transfers of firearms if both transferor and transferee hold a valid Washington concealed pistol license (CPL).

This is a common sense amendment that fully complies with the stated intent of I-594, that the buyers of firearms are subjected to a comprehensive background check.

In fact, the background check conducted to issue a CPL is more comprehensive than that conducted by an FFL per I-594 requirements.

This common sense measure more than satisfies the I-594 background check requirement.

PLEASE SUPPORT THE KOSTER AMENDMENT, EITHER NUMBER 438 OR 439 (BOTH ARE MIRROR-IMAGE AMENDMENTS).

Very Respectfully

Whitney Slater

Poulsbo

On 03/20/2017 08:21 AM, Hansen, Rep. Drew wrote:
All right I checked -- the answer is "no" because of the title; as you may know we can only amend bills if it fits w/in the scope of the title, and here the title is super, super specific about what 594 changes it allows and what it doesn't. Thanks for writing about this - Drew

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2017 7:20 PM
To: Whitney Slater
Cc: Hansen, Rep. Drew
Subject: Re: SB 5552

Whitney - I think this bill was carefully negotiated but I wish I had aught that idea and tested it. The bill passed the Senate already, and was passed by the House Judiciary Committee yesterday. I'm copying Drew Hansen, as he may know whether amendments in the House are still possible. I still think the idea of exempting some cpl holders has merit, and perhaps he can comment on that as well.

- Christine

On Mar 17, 2017, at 7:03 PM, Whitney Slater wrote:

This bill could still be amended to include CPL holders to the list.
Do you recall during the fragmented debates over 1588 you told me you would support certain exemptions for persons who have a license?

Here is your chance.

Very Respectfully

Whitney Slater
Poulsbo

Of course it would be nice if the law based on I-594 was repealed (there was a bill to that effect that never went anywhere), but fixing things like the whole C&R problem is a step in the right direction. I've been watching this one closely. It passed unanimously with a couple of excused absences. I wouldn't put anything past the governor, but I'd think that with such strong support he'd sign it, or at least ignore it (rather than vetoing it), which would have the same effect. We'll see, but I'm hopeful that I'll be able to fully use my C&R again without concern.

Griff, IME Inslee's just that kind of bum-sucking arse-bandit, thinks he knows better than even the rest of his party. And make no mistake he has national ambitions, which he thinks jabbing a finger into "Those EEEEEEVIL Gun People's" eyes would help advance with DNC power-brokers.

Well, I may have a similar opinion of the governor, but I'm using a work computer...

I'm still holding out hope, though. With the anti-suicide provisions, it could easily be spun against the governor should he veto it. I'm not convinced that it'll get signed, but crossing my fingers.

Text is linked above; it's lines 35-37 on Page 8. Worryingly, there is neither Effective Date nor Severability Clause, which means if the black-robed buttbuckets strike down any part of it we lose it all.

Surprise, Inslee signed it.

FPC Applauds WA Gov. Inslee's Signing of SB 5552 Gun Law Reform Bill
FPC said:
OLYMPIA, WA (May 10, 2017) — Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) applauded Washington Governor Jay Inslee's approval of Senate Bill 5552 today, which was passed by the state legislature on a unanimous vote. Prior to passage, the bill was amended to include new FPC-supported exemptions to I-594 transfer restrictions for law-abiding gun owners.

"While this bill is not a complete fix of everything we've outlined as problematic with the I-594 firearms transfer law," explained FPC's Pacific Northwest Legislative Advocate Philip Watson, "it is an important step forward for bipartisan support of Second Amendment civil rights in Washington State."

"We're thankful that some common sense prevailed with this bill, and we look forward to further cooperation with lawmakers and stakeholders in repealing laws that would serve no purpose but to harm honest citizens and gun owners."

In signing the bill, the Governor approved the following reforms on laws relating to firearm transfers:

• Restores the ability of federally-licensed collectors of curios and relics to conduct normal activities under federal guidance when the item is defined as a curio or relic under the federal law;
  • Restores the ability of security guards, employees, and volunteers to conduct normal business;
  • Expands the formerly narrow definition of "family member" for the purpose of transfers;
  • Exempts transfers for the prevention of suicide and self-inflicted bodily injury; and,
  • Exempts transfers when in the actual presence of the owner.
FPC thanks Senators Pedersen, Zeiger, Frockt, O'Ban, Takko, Fain, and Hobbs – SB 5552's sponsors – and Senate Law and Justice Committee Chairman Mike Padden for marshalling the bill through to a successful vote.

"SB 5552 is yet another example of FPC members and supporters making a difference in the effort to advance the right to keep and bear arms," Watson concluded.

Ray

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads