JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently inherited a Savage Sporter in 32-20 and have not been able to locate the serial number. It is not visible anywhere on the rifle. This rifle has a Weaver K4 scope mounted on it. I have not taken the metal out of the stock to see if it underneath on the metal.
Can someone tell me where to find the serial number?
Thank you.

Might be old enough not to have one. If you can't find a visible sn# with the stock on, it either never had one or has had it removed. Do you see any signs something was removed (file marks, metal deviations, refinish marks)?

Thank you for the response....
No, there is absolutely no evidence of anyone removing the SN, no filing marks and it's definitely not refinished. I own many firearms that are defined as "Vintage", and know a refinished rifle/pistol when I see it. As I said, I've not removed it from the stock, but unless its on the top of the receiver (under the scope mount), there is no serial number to be found.
Also, another question if I may:
Does the magazine just "clip" in? As I cannot find a magazine release anywhere. If I pull real hard the mag comes out, but I've never seen a magazine fed rifle/pistol without a magazine release (?)

My 32-20 Sporter has it's serial number just above the wood, right side, between the
bolt handle cutout and the ejection port. It's JUST above the wood and fairly small----if the
wood were 1/8" higher it would cover it.

The magazine release on mine is a tab at the back of the magazine, similar to old Savage 22's.

Numrich has some parts, but you need to figure out which model.
The one shown is for a 23B-23C old style.
Free shipping if you call for the code of the day.

Old style magazine catch/release.

1181130.jpg

My 32-20 Sporter has it's serial number just above the wood, right side, between the
bolt handle cutout and the ejection port. It's JUST above the wood and fairly small----if the
wood were 1/8" higher it would cover it.

The magazine release on mine is a tab at the back of the magazine, similar to old Savage 22's.

I've googled this rifle, and saw in the pictures the serial # in the same place as you describe. But this rifle has no # there or anywhere else on the metal that can be seen without removing the stock. I wouldn't think any firearm co. would put the serial # on the bottom of the rifle metal surfaces and having to remove the rifle from the stock to see it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top