JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Took my new Savage FVSR to the range today and tried out Eley Team 22lr Flathead Ammo.

My rifle did not like it. It jammed a lot. Like 1 out of 5 rounds.

Anyone else have this issue with Flathead Ammo?

Normally I'd just burn it up in another firearm and get something else, but there isn't anything else that I can find.

I'm guessing I need to try out some round(er) ammo. Guess I'm seeing if there is a fix I'm not aware of like "tighten the bubblegum screw down and you'll be fine". I should note I'm using oem mags. They are a little jiggly.

ELEY-team-22lr-ammunition.jpg

Took my new Savage FVSR to the range today and tried out Eley Team 22lr Flathead Ammo.

My rifle did not like it. It jammed a lot. Like 1 out of 5 rounds.

Anyone else have this issue with Flathead Ammo?

Normally I'd just burn it up in another firearm and get something else, but there isn't anything else that I can find.

I'm guessing I need to try out some round(er) ammo. Guess I'm seeing if there is a fix I'm not aware of like "tighten the bubblegum screw down and you'll be fine". I should note I'm using oem mags. They are a little jiggly.

View attachment 816696
Rather unusual looking projectile there. Those Savage FSVR's are amazing rifles. Sadly got rid of mine a few years back but I've got another one headed my way soon. I agree the magazines aren't the best & they were actually the reason I let my other FSVR go. Must have been a bad attitude about never finding any speed loaders anywhere for the things I guess.

I know it's not the best option, but if you're getting one out of five rounds jamming, try loading the mags one round shy of full capacity? That's certainly easier than using it as a single shot bolt action.

If you're ever in the Eugene area I've got some extra 22LR ammunition available if you're unable to find anything locally other than the flathead stuff.

Very interesting. My Ruger precision feeds Eley flat nose just as well as any round nose. If you look for Eley "club" (orange box) or "sport" (green box), you'll notice they're round nose....