JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Savage is well known for accuracy. The Axis does not have the AccuTrigger, but it would be a solid rifle for hunting and general shooting. What are you looking for?

My opinion is to hold out for a 110 as the after market opens up dramatically and the accu trigger is mmm mmm good. I also recall reading something about the recoil lug being a separate, floating part in the axis models while it's solidly fixed to the receiver/barrel in the 110s which may or may not affect real world hunting accuracy

My opinion is to hold out for a 110 as the after market opens up dramatically and the accu trigger is mmm mmm good. I also recall reading something about the recoil lug being a separate, floating part in the axis models while it's solidly fixed to the receiver/barrel in the 110s which may or may not affect real world hunting accuracy
Found a pretty good explanation of the differences at SavageShooters.com.

The Savage Shooters website has a wealth of knowledge. I've used Savage 110 action rifles for decades and been delighted with function and accuracy. The AXIS seems to have a reputation of being pretty basic, but accurate.

I recently bought an axis in 223 as a coyote gun. I bought it with the idea I was going to replace the plastic stock and factory trigger.
first time shooting it I got 3 100 yd groups using Remington factory ammo that were all under 3/4". I pretty much left it alone after that.
It shoots my hunting load just as well.
The plastic mags, and the plastic mag well are not impressive but I can't complain about how it shoots.
If you are only interested in how it shoots Buy one! If you are wanting to buy it as a base for a custom rifle I would skip it.
Savage seems to have found where to concentrate their time to make a rifle that shoots, but spent no time on anything else. DR

I would go for the axis II instead of axis for the acutrigger. Not much more $ (around $50ish as I recall) or perhaps same depending on where you're buying it. Great value imo.

Last Edited:
I recently bought an axis in 223 as a coyote gun. I bought it with the idea I was going to replace the plastic stock and factory trigger.
first time shooting it I got 3 100 yd groups using Remington factory ammo that were all under 3/4". I pretty much left it alone after that.
It shoots my hunting load just as well.
The plastic mags, and the plastic mag well are not impressive but I can't complain about how it shoots.
If you are only interested in how it shoots Buy one! If you are wanting to buy it as a base for a custom rifle I would skip it.
Savage seems to have found where to concentrate their time to make a rifle that shoots, but spent no time on anything else. DR
My reasons are purely sporting.
I sold my Winchester 5 years ago, so I don't have a centerfire rifle anymore.
Sure, I could adopt my dad's 725 or maybe his 8mm Mauser, both wonderful rifles, but I saw the Axis and the price didn't seem all that bad (of course, I don't know prices for beans).
Stainless w/plastic stock. Literally custom built for hunting in the soaking wet Northwest.
I saw it, it tickled my fancy, thought I would ask.
Last I had heard about the Axis rifles is that they were made-in-China crap, but that was quite a while ago and it doesn't seem to be the case.
Glad to know I'll make a decent choice (anyway) if I do decide to pick it up.
Thanks guys.

....now, about scopes.....

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews