JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Savage is well known for accuracy. The Axis does not have the AccuTrigger, but it would be a solid rifle for hunting and general shooting. What are you looking for?

My opinion is to hold out for a 110 as the after market opens up dramatically and the accu trigger is mmm mmm good. I also recall reading something about the recoil lug being a separate, floating part in the axis models while it's solidly fixed to the receiver/barrel in the 110s which may or may not affect real world hunting accuracy

My opinion is to hold out for a 110 as the after market opens up dramatically and the accu trigger is mmm mmm good. I also recall reading something about the recoil lug being a separate, floating part in the axis models while it's solidly fixed to the receiver/barrel in the 110s which may or may not affect real world hunting accuracy
Found a pretty good explanation of the differences at SavageShooters.com.

The Savage Shooters website has a wealth of knowledge. I've used Savage 110 action rifles for decades and been delighted with function and accuracy. The AXIS seems to have a reputation of being pretty basic, but accurate.

I recently bought an axis in 223 as a coyote gun. I bought it with the idea I was going to replace the plastic stock and factory trigger.
first time shooting it I got 3 100 yd groups using Remington factory ammo that were all under 3/4". I pretty much left it alone after that.
It shoots my hunting load just as well.
The plastic mags, and the plastic mag well are not impressive but I can't complain about how it shoots.
If you are only interested in how it shoots Buy one! If you are wanting to buy it as a base for a custom rifle I would skip it.
Savage seems to have found where to concentrate their time to make a rifle that shoots, but spent no time on anything else. DR

I would go for the axis II instead of axis for the acutrigger. Not much more $ (around $50ish as I recall) or perhaps same depending on where you're buying it. Great value imo.

Last Edited:
I recently bought an axis in 223 as a coyote gun. I bought it with the idea I was going to replace the plastic stock and factory trigger.
first time shooting it I got 3 100 yd groups using Remington factory ammo that were all under 3/4". I pretty much left it alone after that.
It shoots my hunting load just as well.
The plastic mags, and the plastic mag well are not impressive but I can't complain about how it shoots.
If you are only interested in how it shoots Buy one! If you are wanting to buy it as a base for a custom rifle I would skip it.
Savage seems to have found where to concentrate their time to make a rifle that shoots, but spent no time on anything else. DR
My reasons are purely sporting.
I sold my Winchester 5 years ago, so I don't have a centerfire rifle anymore.
Sure, I could adopt my dad's 725 or maybe his 8mm Mauser, both wonderful rifles, but I saw the Axis and the price didn't seem all that bad (of course, I don't know prices for beans).
Stainless w/plastic stock. Literally custom built for hunting in the soaking wet Northwest.
I saw it, it tickled my fancy, thought I would ask.
Last I had heard about the Axis rifles is that they were made-in-China crap, but that was quite a while ago and it doesn't seem to be the case.
Glad to know I'll make a decent choice (anyway) if I do decide to pick it up.
Thanks guys.

....now, about scopes.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews