JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
well i just purchased 2 new hunting rifles about a month ago, the are both savage 111's 1 in 300 wm and the other in 30-06. i purchased them both brand new from bi mart.

but i notice about half the time that i fire them the mag will pop out a little bit.
is there any sort of fix for this?

it is not to bad for just shooting targets because i stay in one spot so it is easy to find when i notice it is not in there, but when i am hunting that is not gonna be the case.
i figure if i have to i will just throw a piece of tape over it while hunting but i would like to find another option if there is any..

any help would be greatly appreciated

Are these the 111 package guns, without accu trigger? and do they have the side mag release button or bottom release button? Typically, the 11's and 111's suffer from having the mag full and 1 round in the chamber and popping the mag out. Usually the fix is stacking 3 rounds not 4 in the mag.

correct they are the 111 package rifles without accutrigger and the mag release is on the bottom.
most of the time i was just putting 1 round in the mag and 1 in the chamber and i would just fire the 2 shots and then go check the target and let the gun cool down to break in the barrel.

i have not contacted them, i was reading before i got them that that is a pretty common problem with that model especially in the higher calibers but i didnt read to much into if anyone found a fix.
regardless of that little flaw i am pretty happy with the performance of the rifles though..

If you look at the back of the mag, there is the piece that projects up and has tapered sides with a flat top and it looks like the top has been folded over flat against itself. I'm pretty sure, from the wear marks on both of mine, that it is part of the operation to hold the mag into the mag well by applying forward directional force and keeping the mag tight to the release button. It should be angled slightly back. If yours isn't, or isn't angle enough, bend it back a bit (a small bit!) and see how that works. That's what fixed my one mag problem. Had I not purchased the second magazine at the same time as the rifle, I probably would have tried contacting Savage. But since I could see there was a slight (but important) difference in the angle of the original mag's rearward angle, I only had to bend it back a bit and that was it. Mine is a 7mm Rem Mag, quite a bit of recoil, and I haven't had the problem again. I've put a couple hundred rounds through it, and it still works great. I definitely have to agree with your happiness in regard to these rifle's performance.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top