JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would like to get my hands on a Saiga AK in .308, but have not seen one at my usual shops. Are they mythical creatures or can they actually be found in Oregon? Any ideas on where to get one would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure if there are certain dealers that carry them but I usually see a couple at the expo gun shows (I'd suggest going early on the first day to increase chances of seeing one).

Thanks Double. I may have to go that route. I love going to the shows, but it is hard to come home with only one. That's why the wife always gives me a sideways look when I head to one "just to look".

Thanks Jorhammer. I just called and they did have them. I am heading over after work to take a look. They only have the skeletonized stock model, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

Yes they are!
And if you own one, its much like drinking the blood of a Unicorn.. You'll be somewhat cursed.. in the sense that you'll come to realize you didn't need some $2000 rifle chambered for the .308 (And only chambered for .308), that is far too prissy to shoot steel cases and quite possibly isn't chrome lined for all that 7.62x51 mil-surp ammo you've got stashed away.. and also that most of you're shooting needs could have been fulfilled with this one incredible platform. :)

By FAR the Saiga .308 is my favorite rifle. Part weekend Guerrilla Sniper/ Designated Marksman Rifle part Battle Rifle.
Any how, back to your inquiry, Like with most of the shortages, they're on back order and will be out and about once more!
As for where or when.. I'm at a loss.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stock. If you convert it (actually revert it to true form) that'll get changed out anyway. I'd look more at the price and if it's the barrel length you want.
Be aware that Saigas tend to multipily. As soon as I finished the 308 I was shopping for a 12ga.

I went and took a look. They only have the 16" barrel and I was kind of hoping for the 21". Sounds like some of you have one, what barrel length is best? I was thinking the 21" because I would think you would get a little better performance out of the .308 round with a bit longer barrel. By the way Double, I want a 12 ga. too. They want $700 at Gun Zone for the 16" with the skeletonized stock. That seems a bit high to me. What do you guys think?

I like the 16" but if you want to build a draganov clone (saiganov) the longer barrel would look right. Opinion seems to be the 16" is a bit more accurate if using optics (stiffer barrel) while the 22" has a longer sight radius if using irons. The downside of the 16" is you lose a little velocity and the muzzle blast is significant (and accompanying fireball). I chrono'ed a 16" vs 20" and showed a pretty consistent 150fps variation but if you handload you could probably optimize a load for the shorter barrel. I plan to add a flash hider to mine when I get it threaded. The longer barrels seem to be more rare.
$700 sounds high but I haven't looked lately. For a while they were price gouging them (especially the 12 gauge) because the supply dwindled and Izhmash was doing a contract for the russian .mil
Atlantic shows $550 for the 16"
K-Var shows $570 for the 22" but shows they are out of stock. I think the newest shipment was due mid sept so they should be in soon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top