JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just traded into a Saiga 12 that is not converted. I am looking at converting it.
Any advice who had a better parts kit?
How long should it take a gunsmith to do the work correctly?
Any components better than others?

I did go looking at parts kits and there are a lot of options.
I am just not up which parts are better quality or not.

Appreciate the ideas, opinions and assistance in advance.
But please, keep it on topic.

There are no 'parts kits' per se other than what some retailers have thrown together to make the selection a little easier. Normally, you just buy the stock, handguards, and other bolt ons that you like the looks of the best and put them on. In reality, there really are no 'better' conversion parts; the quality of everyone's goods, even Tapco's, is pretty much the same.

The hardest part of the process is probably cutting out the old trigger group pins and removing the old trigger guard, neither of which is hard to do. You can do the former with a small hacksaw blade and the latter with a dremel, all without disturbing the original factory finish. If you are looking at paying someone to do the work, you might as well sell this Saiga and purchase one that's already had the work done...a conversion done by a 'name' usually carries a higher resale than a 'no name' conversion.

Saiga-12.com is a good website to research the process.

A good source of quality conversion parts can be found at Dinzagarms.com, K-Var and Carolina Shooters Supply.

I prefer the traditional look, in this case the AK103. My conversion is about as far a Saiga 12 shotgun can be taken to mimic the AKM, short of a bayonet lug and cleaning rod.

Keth

IMG_0012 2.JPG

No doubt, thats the fun part.

Many folks are satisfied with a basic conversion...a new buttstock, new pistol grip and moving the trigger group forward.

If you ever decide to go the Russian optic route, a PK-AS and Rakurs-A are very good selections for a shotgun.

Keith

I like Dinzag. He's very helpful and includes the cobalt drill bits to drill out the rivets (Russkie rivets are made out of recycled T34 tank armor and will eat normal drill bits).

Try Carolina Shooter's Supply. They have conversion kits at good prices and they have videos that will walk you through the install.

Yes this, not to meantion as soon as you hit enter on your order all you have to do is walk to the front door and pick up your package. I have no idea how he does it but I have placed several orders even on long holiday weekends and as if by osmosis, BANG there it is.

Also a note on magazines: I really like the MDarms 20 round drums. These days I think you can only find them on Copes' but for me they've been as reliable as the factory mag. The promag drums are less reliable and a bit heavier.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top