JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, kinda new here........I want to build a nice home defense/tactical Saiga 12. I dont want to buy one-strip it down-then throw most of it away if i dont have too?? any thoughts?? complete receiver kits?? dunno

Unfortunately, you have to buy a complete Saiga to build a Saiga. Russian-made parts by themselves are essentially non-existant on the retail market. The good news is you can buy the rifle, replace the buttstock, add a PG and a US trigger group and you are done. Anything else is cosmetics. I would recommend Saiga-12.com as a good one-stop source of information on how to rebuild these weapons.

Before you do all this though, you may want to try one out before you decide you need to rebuild it. Many folks like them just the way they are. I have a Saiga-12 that has been completely rebuilt into an AK-74 clone, but I have a Saigax39 that I've left completely stock because it handles so well.

The guy at the end of this clip seems quite happy too :) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jugm...DvjVQa1PpcFOX7dMTVnFjM_ipxDNECrJDryWUXSkloY0=

Keith

^ Yes, Tromix is awesom.

DSC04954.jpg

DSC06117.jpg

What I've heard, is that you must have the magical number of american made parts (be 922r compliant), in order to use the large cap mags. If you leave it stock and intend to stay legal, you're stuck with the stock 5 rounders.

This is correct. Best bet is to search Saiga-12.com for "922r compliance". This is from memory, and it's not legal advice, but I believe that the maximum is 10 "evil" parts. What this means is that there are about 14 parts that the gummint is concerned about in a Saiga 12. If you modify your gun ("assemble", I believe, is the official term), you can only have 10 foreign made "evil" parts. Fortunately, 3 of these parts are in the magazine alone. I think 2 are in the trigger. The butstock and forend are also compliance parts. You'll probably want a shorter stock if you're going to move the trigger group forward (and replace it) and add a pistol grip. The bolt and bolt carrier I think are also in play, but folks usually just have the factory carrier reshaped and polished. Well, you see where this is going. If you do a typical conversion you'll probably be fine on 922r compliance, but it's best to know all about it first.

If you just want to use higher capacity (U.S. made) mags in a stock Saiga, my math says that you could just replace the thread protector on the end of the barrel with a U.S. made break or choke. I did run across a $20 or $30 U.S. made thread protector a few years ago, which might be a pretty inexpensive solution. Dinzag, I think. Never actually bought one, but he has a good reputation.

My recommendations: AGP 10 round mags, MD Arms 20 round drums (you need one of these! :gun09:), Tapco G2 trigger, Tapco pistol grip. I forget where I got the stock. If the gun has trouble cycling low-power shells like #7 1/2 (common problem), MD Arms sells a gas port adjuster that works great. If that doesn't do the trick, you may need the gas ports opened up and/or the bolt shaped and polished. The advantage of the latter is that it makes inserting a loaded mag on a closed bolt way easier. Also, once you've converted it, shot it, and watched all of your friends go all gaga over it, you may develop a strong urge to start hanging all kinds of tactical bubblegum on it. Just go with it. :cool:

I also have a bone-stock S12 that I like fine just the way it is.

If you are interested in getting a Saiga 12 fully converted locally, or having yours converted, I have them in stock or can convert yours in 2 days
if you want large cap mags, quad rails, muzzle break, MD "V" plug & Puc or any conversion parts - I have them in stock
polishing, welding and repair are also available services too
please see my posts;

<broken link removed>
or
<broken link removed>

the 2nd post has info on 922r compliant

Thanks Stomper for the kind words

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR