JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been a mph guy for, well, forever. 750 fps is about 500 mph, now that I can wrap my head around. Don't want to get hit by anything going that fast. Btw 250 grains is over a half an ounce (0.57 actually)..
I own 2 single actions in 45 colt at this time, I have had more. I would trust the 45 for my personal defence anytime..

IMG_20220109_154542_kindlephoto-1777688309.jpg
My favorite an El Patron Beleza, in inox (stainless), factory installed wolf springs, tuned trigger, numbered chambers, checkered grips, engraved cylinder. She shoots :)!

Last Edited:
Since its been brought up .357 can get real loud. I have a Blackhawk in .30 carbine. 7.5" barrel. And its insanely loud. Both with factory syd. Loads and my 125gr hand loads.
So that might be a consideration.

By the way my Blackhawk is also very accurate.

What's the best single action cartridge, and why is 45 Colt :)
Define "best". You would need to include intended use and personal preferences, especially related to historical or not. Probably also if you reload or not and/or how much you care about ammo cost.

I can give my personal preferences for the SAA gun, but not the cartridge. Use is plinking only. I like 7.5" (or longer if just larping around). Only guns with 4 click Colt-like action. No wild colors. Can live with a safety of whatever type but prefer to have none. Must have standard fixed sights, not adjustable. Cannot have Bisley grip. Cannot be made by companies such as taurus, Chiappa, or ROhm or whatever. Cannot be colt or standard manufacturing just because of what I'm willing to spend on this category of gun.

Last Edited:
Define "best". You would need to include intended use and personal preferences, especially related to historical or not. Probably also if you reload or not and/or how much you care about ammo cost.

I can give my personal preferences for the SAA gun, but not the cartridge. Use is plinking only. I like 7.5" (or longer if just larping around). Only guns with 4 click Colt-like action. No wild colors. Can live with a safety of whatever type but prefer to have none. Must have standard fixed sights, not adjustable. Cannot have Bisley grip. Cannot be made by companies such as taurus, Chiappa, or ROhm or whatever. Cannot be colt or standard manufacturing just because of what I'm willing to spend on this category of gun.
Relax man, you're overthinking.

:)

Looking at 7.5" SAA clone and wondering what people feel is more fun to shoot, .357 or 45 LC. Not interested in .38SP or any other length of pistol. Have 45 LC gun that shoots cowboy loads and I like 45LC but it does seem anemic in the 250 gr 750 fps cowboy loads. Let me know what you think. Thx!
Get a Ruger Blackhawk and a Speer #9 manual. 250gr. 1389fps. Woof woof.

For me, choosing the cartridge is easy. I don't reload. For .44mag and .45 +P there are plenty of full power commercial loads for hunting deer, bear or elk out to a little above 100 yards. I need a scoped gun and using both hands to control these without threatening my wrists. And letting a shot off without hearing protection such as when hunting makes my ears ring for half an hour. For all ordinary uses--woods carry, SD against bear, hunting deer at 75 yards or less with an unscoped gun, plinking, recreation--I prefer loads I can fire one handed with either hand that dont make my ears ring if I fire one or two shots without ear protection--that is, loads in the 500-1000 ft. lb. range. There are a number of commercial .44sp or .44mag loads in that range. But not .45 or .45+P loads. Basically, both calibers provide plenty of commercial very soft anemic and full power loads. But only .44mag provides commercially available medium power loads, exactly my favorite part of the power range.

Since its been brought up .357 can get real loud. I have a Blackhawk in .30 carbine. 7.5" barrel. And its insanely loud. Both with factory syd. Loads and my 125gr hand loads.
So that might be a consideration.

By the way my Blackhawk is also very accurate.
I "hear" ya... having fired a .30 Blackhawk without ear protection 35 years ago, my ears are still ringing. Learned a lesson about ear protection right there. WITH ear protection these days, I find the larger .44-.45 make less noise than the .357 and .32 calibers. Generally I wear the "sponge" plugs (or similar) with the muffs over them. Not only more protection, but if I remove the muffs to hear someone talk, the plugs still offer some protection from other guns on the firing line...

I have a Blackhawk in 30 Carbine as well. It does have a nasty crack of a report but also is very accurate and doesn't kick much. Fun gun, just be sure to wear your doubled up hearing protection.

I like .357. It' a caliber that's in common modern circulation, always in-stock, easy to find, consistently priced, and cheaper than .45 LC. Add on top that I already had .357s so it wasn't a new caliber for me. Added benefits of being able to load it up or down to a large degree is also good (this feature is not unique to .45).

For me, the economics of the situation are the most important. It's easy to get a 1,000 crate of .357 and the cheap price means I get to shoot more. If you like everything I've said but still need something bigger, they make pretty much all the same cowboy kit in .44 mag these days and you get to keep those benefits of the economies of scale from modern production.

If you are devoted to the .45 cowboy kit then go for it. For some reason lever .357s are expensive.