JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
This is a genuine US 1917 with a lower s/n - 21,xxx. Likely a 1917 production. Numbers match on the frame/barrel/cylinder/ejector. Grips are genuine S&W for the gun but number to a higher s/n, though they fit nicely. Includes black leather swivel holster. $600 ftf east of Seattle in King Co., or $30 shipping to an FFL outside WA. If in WA and not local, can ship for less.

Mechanics: The gun is in very good to excellent mechanical condition. B/c gap is .004/.005" with about .002" of endshake. Headspace is excellent. Bore is a little dark but would clean nicely and has good lands and grooves, muzzle is nicely shaped without damage. Trigger is smooth and consistent - gun still has original military mainspring and thus a slightly heavier trigger pull like the original design. A modern commercial mainspring could be installed to make a lighter DA and SA trigger action.

Cosmetics: Gun has 75% or more of an older, very professional re-blue on it. Hard to notice at first it is a re-blue until close examination shows lightened marks of the "S&W D.A. 45" on the barrel, and one side of the barrel pin flattened (right side). Gun has some mild pitting on sides of barrel, blue is worn on grip straps front and rear, top strap, and sides of barrel. Trigger/hammer still have faded but present case hardening intact. Patent dates on top of barrel and "U.S. Property" marks on underside are crisp and sharp (see bottom added photos).

Grips' condition matches gun and fit nicely, though numbered to later gun. Unfortunately, the butt swivel was removed, a plug brazed in, and the grip end ground smooth. The s/n on the grip is thus very faint and the "US ARMY" mark mostly gone, but traces visible. The "GHS" inspector's stamp is on the top left of the frame, and there is a perfectly stamped "2" on the lower right corner of the frame (don't know what that means). No other martial marks.

Holster: Comes with a black leather swivel holster. Holster is excellent and stamped "W.H. McMonies Portland Ore" on the back. I do not know if was an army holster or later commercial model; I understand they were indeed army contractors but it is black not brown. I would guess it is later if I had to guess.

Price: I see excellent original ones $1500 to $2000, and beater ones needing much work at about $500. Ones in similar condition with original finish at about $900 to $1100. I'm thinking this price for a genuine US military model in this condition, with a real leather swivel holster, and not a later civilian or Brazilian model, is fair.

IMGP5644PEF.jpg
IMGP5649PEF.jpg
IMGP5652PEF.jpg
IMGP5651PEF.jpg
IMGP5650PEF.jpg
IMGP6013PEF.jpg
IMGP6009PEF.jpg
IMGP6012PEF.jpg
IMGP6016PEF.jpg

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.