JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's really too late for this, since I already ordered one, but anybody out there own or have experience with the Model 60 .357 Magnum with 2 1/8" barrel? And be honest. It's not like I'm going to send it back when it gets here or anything. Thanks.

The short barrel pretty much negates the inherent power of the .357.. instead you will get a huge fireball..I would carry the .38 Special Speer Snubby Load

Thanks. Spent the weekend shooting my son's Ruger LCR. There was a dad with his two 11/12 year old kids in the lane next to me when I touched off the first of his +p .38 Special rounds. We both cracked up when one of the kids actually screamed when it went off. To tell you the truth, I almost did, too. Scary big ball of flame. The compression when he was firing it was tangible. We'll see when the 60 gets here. Just seemed to me the best combo of weight, size, grip, etc for my tastes.

I have one of the first model 60's, 38 Spl.
I shot from a batch of cop reloads and I saw one round drop about 5 ft in front of the barrel, another one was so hot that it bulged the cylinder and would no longer rotate.
I had to get the cylinder replaced by S&W.

I was once at an indoor range and someone touched off a big caliber, I no longer shoot at that range.
The pressure was too severe, even from 8 lanes away.

I got a retired deputy's Model 60 stainless last year and really like it. I find that 158gr loads seem to have a little less fireball and concussion than the light bullets. My guess is a little better powder burn with the heavy bullets. I did shoot a couple 170gr Hornadys I think and that was too much for me. These were all magnum loads. I have to believe these have a little more pop than 38s. This is an easy carry pistol and I got mine mostly for hiking. It does get peoples attention when shooting magnum loads. I have never tried the short barrel ammo.

I carried a Model 60 as my back-up gun for close to 30 years. I've been extremely happy with it.

Forget about the .357 loads. There's just no practical advantage to them with the short barrel. You're better off with conventional .38 loads. Remember what the weapon is for, its not a target piece. It's for close range work. You'll get a much quicker second shot with the lighter load, and that outweights any better terminal ballistic (if there is any) of the .357.

I carried mine in my front pocket, and with a bobbed hammer. If doing it over again, I'd go with one of the covered hammer versions now available. I was always having to clean dirt and grime out of the action.