JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Background, info. New to guns in general. I just picked up a Makarov cheap. It was a really good deal. Then I found out that the 9x18 rounds are hard to find, and almost twice as much as 9x19s. So I have been looking around and decided I want a Glock 19. Cannt afford that just yet.

I got a offer of a S&W model 59 in trade. The item I would be trading I am looking to get $400 out of. Looking around it seems like the model 59 is worth that. However I am not really sure.

I have a few questions. I am finding very little info about the model 59.

Can anyone tell me more about it? Like it, love it, hate it?

Is it worth $400 ish in decent condition?

Perhaps more importantly, does it have any resale value? I would eventually try and sell it to fund the g19 I want. Not really sure if it would be feasible to get $400 out of it at that time?

Any other thoughts on the Model 59?

Thanks!

A good condition Model 59 would be worth that much in cash, give or take. As for resale value, there isn't much of a desire for Smith autos, old or new, unless one could get the gun for very cheap, or in other words, you'd certainly take a loss on it if you tried to sell it back later. I say wait until you have enough for the gun you want.

Having owned a couple of 59's, I can say a few things. Most of them I've seen are in the $300 to $350 range, as they are over 30yrs old. However, I"ve always liked them as they really are a quality pistol. They were one of the first high cap nine's, shoot pretty well, and 9mm is still fairly cheap. The only real negative is the large handgrip for some.

Thanks for the answers! I have not actually seen one in person. I have looked a couple gun stores but they dont have any. I do kind have smaller hands, so a large handgrip could be a big negative. Plus the ones I saw for sale online were far more than you guys are saying. Never can trust a auction anyway. Think I am going to pass on that trade then. Thanks again.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top