JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
I just got to BUMP, this thing with ... " can't believe it is still here for sale " .

Hard to verbally articulate the quality this Magnum Revolver is . But Shot having this 'exact' model today for the 2nd time . I am now starting to appreciate this S&W model .460 as a true top-tier piece of Revolver Art . Easier to control than you expect and is such an accurate Hammer with delivering BIG energy .

Shorter barrels in and of themselves are not less accurate.

It is the sight radius that will facilitate or degrade the "accuracy" due to human interaction. Hence the longer barrel will facilitate better "accuracy" due to the longer sight radius. If you instead use a scope instead of the iron sights, then the accuracy would not suffer from a shorter barrel.

However, the velocity would suffer, especially with the magnum cartridges which need as much barrel length as possible to burn the slower powder they use.

So, there are compromises - pros and cons - for different barrel lengths.

It depends on what you want to use the handgun for - hunting? Self-defense against dangerous animals? Both?

For hunting and long range shooting (e.g., steel silhouette, etc.), then the longer barrel would give you the advantage of more velocity.

For everyday carrying in some place like Alaska, then a shorter barrel would have a better balance, and present faster, but also be harder to shoot than a longer barrel that gives the gun more mass and a compensator that has more leverage being at the end of a longer barrel.

a buddy has both the 8 3/8" version of this magnificent revolver AND a shorty 4" version.

I've shot the long one, marvelous and comfortable despite my misgivings. I've stood near when he's shot the 4" model, and there is considerable more muzzle blast and recoil. There is a considerable pressure wave a by stander experiences in the 4" that is almost absent in the long barrel model.

I'd rather like to go hunting with the longer model.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.