JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hello guys, need an opinion about this revolver. Planning on purchasing this for moderate range use. I, currently, have Ruger sp101 but have desire to go little extreme. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

I had one with the 9 1/2in bbl. Big gun, specially if you're coming from a 101. Never very impressed with it, good accuracy, not great, but too big to carry for fun. Recoil is pretty easy, it's so big. So, now I have a S&W .460: go figure. Recoil: not so easy!:s0114:

Reply: Go ahead and get it, being a Ruger, it will never die or let you down.

Before making the purchase,I rented it at the range. Fell in love with it. I still need peoples voice and opinions. I'd love to get S&W but its too pricey. what u think??

Sorry, I don't have much input about a Ruger Super Redhawk, as I have never owned one. The closest thing I have owned would be a GP100. Not exactly apples to apples, but a nice revolver as I remember it.

Ruger is the stronger frame of the two. S&Ws look sweet and would probably last most a lifetime,but if you want to shoot heavy reloads or Buffalo Bore types,then you want a Redhawk.
(Freedom Arms started out using the Blackhawk frame since Ruger made their frames so.......bullet proof,sorry)

Want sweet looking? S&W
Want beefy? Redhawk

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk and I will say I was impressed with the accuracy (7 1/2 inch barrel). I put on different grips as the factory grips didn't work for me. I like my Ruger and I hope to keep this one for a while. The damn thing is built like a brick bubblegum house, so to speak, I don't believe it will ever break and will more than likely out last me. Just me 2 cents worth from the Big Sky Country.....
Westy39

I have a Redhawk 44 mag it's big and heavy and US made which are always signs of good quality I really love my redhawk the trigger may not be the best and it may not be as purteee as a S&W but it sure is a lot tougher than one which is why I bought it I shoot a lot more than the average gun owner and want something that will still be in use long after I'm gone and they don't hardly kick at all because they weigh so much bottom line is buy one you won't regret it

I have bought three SRH and kept two. The 7.5" and the Alaskan are still in my safe. I felt the 9" barrel was unnecessarily heavy. They are solid pieces that shoot straight and the grips work for me. I stoned the trigger on the 7.5 but the Alaskan was already smooth. If you are a frequent shooter and are after a recoil taming revolver then this is your huckleberry.

I have owned both S&W (29) and Ruger (SBH/RH/SRH) revolvers in 44mag. Don't compare the mdl 29 to the SRH as they fill different niches. IMHO, the S&W is best suited to lighter loads and fewer rounds than the SRH. The only detraction to the SRH is the weight when carrying.

I really enjoyed my SRH, not so much the SBH. The flat back side of the trigger guard on the dragoon style SBH will start to hammer your middle finger due to roll during extended range time. The SRH cured that. As others have said already, you'll like it. Well built and as accurate as you are. Trigger work can be done by a competent smith, if needed. Enjoy.

As a side note, she ain't no combat weapon, time off target due to barrel rise during recoil assures this. If your looking for a good hunting sidearm then the SRH is your girl. Ever thought about the .41 magnum? Often over looked, but a very capable cartridge.

I prefer Rugers for .44 magnum revolvers. I have a Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel, a Super Blackhawk with a 10.5" barrel, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel. I prefer the looks and feel of the Redhawk with the wood grips over the Super Redhawk. I prefer S&W for .357 magnum and .460 S&W magnum revolvers.

Have owned a few of them and really like them, just never have loved one to keep long term. Probably the one that I regret selling the most was my .480 Ruger.

Kind of jonesing for a .44mag right now myself not sure what I'll end up with.

I say go for it. Battle ship strong. I have been shooting Redhawks since the first year they were made, Have a pair , sn: 500-06147 and 6148. The action / trigger improves the more I shoot them.

hello guys, need an opinion about this revolver. Planning on purchasing this for moderate range use. I, currently, have Ruger sp101 but have desire to go little extreme. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Just got me a .44 magnum, I actually don't care much for the recoil of the magnum rounds. You say you want one for "moderate" range use? I hope you're reloading because I priced a box of plain old ammo for it at $40.00 a box of 50!! I got to shoot a Redhawk .44 Mag at the range the other day using .44 special, and liked it just fine!

Mike

old topic, but if you are still looking for one, I just got a SRH 9.5 and that thing is very accurate.

the recoil is really very minimal due to the weight and long barrel.

at 30 feet, I was shooting accurately at 2 inch targets which impressed me since that was my first outing with the gun...

the 7.5 inch may be better to carry around. the 9.5 inch is very long.