JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Folks, I am looking to purchase a small single action revolver and have been thinking about the ruger new vaquero with a Birdshead grip. Anybody out there have a chance to shoot one?
I am looking into the 45acp because the short barrel, hence ejector rod, possibly not pushing 45lc and 357 cases all the way out.
Any thoughts?

The ejector rod on the short 3" and 3-1/2" Barreled Guns will eject either the .357 Magnum or the.45 Colt cartridges just fine. Personally, I have found the Birds Head Grip doesn't work well for me in the larger calibers. I've a .32 H&R Magnum which is based on the Single Six Frame and I like that a lot. The BHG might be OKAY on the smaller/lighter New Vaquero guns but on the original it just doesn't work for me.

That is good to know. Everything I've read about them from others is that although the rod pushes them out most of the way, you have to help them a bit. Which Im sure I would find annoying.

The Sheriff-length Birdshead in .45 ACP has become my most often shot .45 revolver.
P1030799_zps3c5ngkqh.jpg

I've also owned many other 3-3/4" Ruger SA revolvers, from .22 thru .44. On .357 and .44 mag, the ejector is a tad short, but it's still a non issue. Just a little extra assistance to pull them the rest of the way out with your fingers if the ejector rod doesn't completely clear them. It's not like you're doing speed reloads with a Single Action revolver, anyway.:cool:

I've never thought of Single Actions as an annoyance, but just the nature of the beast. Glocks are annoying.:s0115:

Last Edited:
The Sheriff-length Birdshead in .45 ACP has become my most often shot .45 revolver.
View attachment 406382

I've also owned many other 3-3/4" Ruger SA revolvers, from .22 thru .44. On .357 and .44 mag, the ejector is a tad short, but it's still a non issue. Just a little extra assistance to pull them the rest of the way out with your fingers if the ejector rod doesn't completely clear them. It's not like you're doing speed reloads with a Single Action revolver, anyway.:cool:

I've never thought of Single Actions as it an annoyance, but just the nature of the beast. Glocks are annoying.:s0115:
I hear you on blocks.. I mean glocks. I have one plastic pistol and I only have that to keep my mall ninja card valid.
Will the cartridges freely fall out if the gun is upended?
Love that pistola, are those ivory by chance?

That is good to know. Everything I've read about them from others is that although the rod pushes them out most of the way, you have to help them a bit. Which Im sure I would find annoying.

More annoying would have them falling out on the ground. Art least you can get a couple of fingers on the shells before they fall. You know, because you are going to take them home with you anyway.

More annoying would have them falling out on the ground. Art least you can get a couple of fingers on the shells before they fall. You know, because you are going to take them home with you anyway.
I like to shoot, then pick up all my brass at the end of the day. Im impatient like that.

I hear you on blocks.. I mean glocks. I have one plastic pistol and I only have that to keep my mall ninja card valid.
Will the cartridges freely fall out if the gun is upended?
Love that pistola, are those ivory by chance?

The ejector rod is short enough that even ACP cases do not completely clear the cylinder/chambers. ACP cases usually are low pressure enough that they don't hang up in the cylinder, so with a little technique and rhythm, yes the empties can be ejected free of the cylinder with a snappy push to the ejector button.

Any more, if my guns were wearing ivory grips, I would not fess up to it, as the laws are pretty insane. But in the above photo, the grips are faux ivory. And faux ivory is a whole lot cheaper.;)

There are many choices in grips, all making these revolvers unique...
get-attachmentaspx-1.jpg
P1030330_zps6svhdhr3.jpg
InkedP1030327_zpsig2bcewn_LI.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show