JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Edit 02-05-15 to update and simplify previous post.

Recently acquired a used Ruger Mini 14 Ranch (pre-2005). It's scoped, but I like iron sights too (if possible) in case anything happens to the optic (which you can remove from this rifle in 10 seconds flat using any coin or blade as a screwdriver).

But this weapon came to me without a rear sight. So I rummaged around in my spare parts boxes and found the rear sight from a Ruger 10/22, which, it turns out, fits just fine - the base does anyway. Haven't sighted it in yet. The front sight on the aftermarket Choate flash suppressor might be higher than the stock front sight. We'll see.

I'm still hoping someone local to Portland might have a modded Ruger Mini 14 or 30 and a stock rear peep sight they'll sell me for $5-10. Thanks for looking.

Last Edited:
Have you ever considered a Tech-Sight for the Mini-14?

I keep iron sights just for backup on rifles with scopes, dots, etc. After I zero it at 100 yd, the standard Ruger peep folds down flat, out of the way. It's just there for emergency use if I ever kill a battery or bend a scope. Ruger Ranch rings are great IMHO becaue I can yank an optic off without tools and it'll still be pretty close when I put it back on. The taller Tech Sight would interfere with any optic I mounted, and seldom see any use, if ever.

But that's a good one you suggested. If I didn't mount a scope on this wep, Tech Sights would be choice #1 or 2 for me. I like their function, appearance and quality control.

Here's an original Ruger sight assembly
Here's a complete modern Ruger sight assembly
Williams makes a nice aftermarket

Thanks Rick.

Top option doesn't fit my ranch rifle.

Williams option on the bottom is a nice peep and it fits the ranch, but it gets in the way of a scope. This rifle actually came to me used with that exact Williams base on it. The top is gone, presumably removed by the previous owner to make room for the scope.

The middle ("modern") option is the one that fits the ranch rifle. And it folds flat under a scope - perfect. That's the one I need to pick up at a gunshow or somewhere local. I suspect that the used gun/parts dealer at all the gunshows who bought the Ruger parts inventory from that nice gal about 2-3 years ago will want way too much for the part if he has it. I'll probably pay less just getting a new one shipped from Midway or Amazon. Was hoping to find a cheapo spare locally before I did that. I know there's a few of them in random parts boxes... somewhere nearby.

Last Edited: