JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been playing with the Ruger .22 target pistols for quite a while. OK, me and Volquertsen....
I decided to go with all Mark III's because I like the thumb mag release and just to have a simple common magazine for all three of my pistols. Last week I picked up a virtually new, Mark II target.
As I was replacing the sear on Mark II with a VQ sear I was also upgrading a Mark III Hunter with the same part. I have been wondering for some time if Mark III magazine might fit in a Mark II.
This is important because its really hard to find any Ruger Mark anything mags and I finally found a source on line for MK III's at just under $24 each shipped.
Because the MK II has a small bump on both sides of the mag I assumed they would not fit in the frame. Wrong! It fit fine in the MK II. I had both frames side by side (without the barrels) and MK III mags in each and they line up fine and seat fine in the MK II. Huh. Shoudda done this sooner....
In an on-line search, I find guys that say, nope, won't feed right and others that say they work fine in a MK II.
Anyone with any experience on this?
Weather permitting, I will get to try this on Friday and see what happens. Worst case the bumps could be ground off for exclusive MK II use but since I have both frames I want to keep the interchange going.
Once you remove the magazine safety parts on the MK III, they shoot exactly the same.

I have a Ruger MK1 A-54 frame i bought off of another member here late last year. It can only take Mk1 and Mk2 mags but for the Mk2 mags you have to switch the magazine button to the left hand side or it wont fit into the gun.

I have a Ruger MK1 A-54 frame i bought off of another member here late last year. It can only take Mk1 and Mk2 mags but for the Mk2 mags you have to switch the magazine button to the left hand side or it wont fit into the gun.

Yup! The early guns, MKI and Standard Auto, use a mag that will only work in the early guns. For the MKII the follower button was changed to the other side. Always wondered why Ruger did this.

I have the answer!
I took two Mark II's and three Mark III magazines, 4 different types of ammo and no Failure to Feed.
You can use a Mark III magazine with the two cut-outs in a Ruger Mark II.
They will not drop free, you do have to slightly wiggle the mag to get it all the way out.
No pressure needed no hard tugging, they just work.

according to this youtube video:
if the ruger mk I frame is A100 (1971 or later) it should be compatible with Mk II mags. Pre 1971 Mk I can use the Mk II but you have to move the follower button to the other side.

Then there is this: http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279173&highlight=mkii+magazines+fit+mkiii

if a Mk II mag fits a Mk I, and, a Mk III mag fits a Mk II, does if follow then that a Mk III can fit Mk I? I have a Mk I, so I am interested to find out.

Do you prefer one Mark over the other? I have been doing some internet reading about the Mark II vs Mark III. Some people will only own a Mark II while others really like their Mark III's. $21.99 for a mag is very good.
May our lives glorify God,
Michael

I prefer the Mark III because of the thumb-operated mag release and the fact that most are drilled and tapped for a scope mount. I would not own a Mark III without removing the Mag safety parts and replacing them with a Tandemkross $10 Hammer bushing. Turns it into a Mark II for dis-assembly, mags drop free and improves the trigger. You can also install a Mark II Volquartsen Hammer kit in it and get the same results. Installing the TK Hammer bushing and a VQ sear gets you 80% of a trigger job for $35.
The full VQ Mark II kit should get you under three pounds for trigger pull and includes a nice adjustable trigger. The drop right in and plenty of YouTube Video's for instructions. I have found no differences in accuracy between the various Marks as the are all basically the same receivers.
Now if we could just find some .22LR ammo...:rolleyes:

Love my MKIII...

RugerMKIIIa.jpg
RugerMKIIIb.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews