JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Bearcat is one of my all time favorite revolvers. It's proportions are perfect. I bought my first one to tuck away in my backpack.
A few years back, Ruger came out with a .22LR/.22 WM version. Shortly after it's introduction it was recalled, never to be seen again.
I do not know why they recalled them. I would think a conversion in stainless would be great.:)

What you do is you get yourself a stainless Bearcat and send it without the cylinder back to Ruger to replace the "lost" cylinder. Then you have it reamed to 22 Mag and you have a convertible gun.

There's not a decent gunsmith around that would rechamber a 22lr cylinder for 22mag
I don't even know if the Bearcat cylinder is long enough as the whole gun is a little smaller than a Single Six

Does anyone know why Ruger recaled the convertible bearcat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Bearcat

http://www.ruger.com/pdf/newBearcatConvertible.pdf

STURM, RUGER & Company, Inc.
411 Sunapee Street, Newport, New Hamshire 03773 U.S.A.
TEL: (603) 863-3300 FAX: (603) 863-3253
Recall of .22 Magnum Cylinders for New Ruger Convertible Bearcat Revolvers
with Serial Numbers from 93-00500 to 93-01944
It has come to our attention that the .22 Magnum cylinders for approximately the first 1000 New
Ruger Bearcat Convertible revolvers may be improperly timed. Firing a .22 Magnum cartridge
in a cylinder not correctly timed with the barrel may result in excessively high pressures, caus-
ing the cartridge case head to fail. This can result in personal injury to the shooter or bystanders
from pieces of cartridge case brass.
We are requesting that if you own a New Ruger Convertible Bearcat Revolver with both a .22
Long Rifle and a .22 Magnum cylinder that you contact the Newport, NH Product Service
Department at the address listed below for further advice:
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc.
Product Service Department
411 Sunapee Street
Newport, NH 03773
Tel: (603) 865-2442 / Fax: (603) 863-6165

It seems if it was a timing issue as opposed to a strength/pressure issue a conversion would be doable.

If that were the only issue they would have corrected the issue and put it back on the market. They removed it completely which tells me there were other reasons as well. ???????

Actually Ruger did completely discontinue the Bearcat from 1975 through until they came out with the NEW BEARCAT. The issue was the original was not adaptable to the transfer bar safety.

The original Bearcat with the alloy frame 1958-1971
The Super Bearcat with a steel frame 1971-75
The New Bearcat with transfer bar 1993 to present

The 22 Mag version is a New Bearcat.

Most people who were around when the recall happened opined that the timing issue was more due to the gun owner thinking they could fan the revolver when the gun was not designed for that type of stress on the ratchet and pawl. Abuse caused timing issues and guns were firing without the cylinder being aligned with the barrel. Many Have been converted exactly the way that I described above.

Above comment that the Ruger a Bearcat has enough Length to shoot magnums... Tied with the suggestion of reaming a 22LR cylinder does NOT SPEAK. To the metallurgy of the Long Rifle Cylinder versus the SAMMI Needs for a 22 Magnum cylinder...

It is my suggestion to leave correct metallurgy to the real scientists & Engineers...

YMMV, it is ~only a suggestion~ ... Reminds me of that firstParachute Jump: it is ~suggested~ You leave the plane, With your D handle IN HAND....

philip :confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads