JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any thoughts on the Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20㎜ for this application?

41UQK-EOh1L._AC_SL1348_.jpg

Any good sporting goods store like Sportsmans Warehouse should have one on hand to take for a test drive. I have not had the fixed power Leupold but have had the variable power version of that scope and still have two of its bigger brother 30mm tube on AR's. So I might be biased but I like them. Only reason for bumping up to the 30mm over the 1" was reticle choice. Wish they made it in a 4a reticle.

I think it would look good on that Ruger, like a mini dangerous game rifle.

I think it would look good on that Ruger, like a mini dangerous game rifle.

Interesting way to put it; very well said. :)

This project has languished a bit, but I like how it is shaping up. When done; light, slick bolt-action, 10+1 capacity, suppressed, in .44 Magnum, and hopefully with decent optics. The basic concept of the Destroyer carbine, but updated, more powerful, less loud, and more accurate. Sounds good to me. :s0155:

The tax stamp came in for the big bore silencer today and I picked up from the shop:

BigBore.jpg

Bigbore1.jpg

Installed, the sights just baaaaarely (peekaboo) clear the can, which is the final shove to install a very light weight, fixed powered scope on this one. I'll get that in the works tonight or tomorrow.

(As of the moment, the Ruger 77/44 was the only rifle I had planned on using with this silencer, but visions of wackiness fill my head with respect to other applications.)

Interesting idea on SBRing it. I'll likely keep it as is now as shifting to other priorities. I did shoot it this weekend with .44 Specials and it is both quiet and accurate. :)

I was finally able to track down then install the last component of this project; an ultralight weight, fixed powered scope by Leupold.

carabina.jpg

This has been a fun exploration and build. (Even better, though unrelated, the health issues I've been struggling with are largely in the past, so much more energetic everyday. More time in the hinterland, either with this handy carbine or not. :))

Continuing my shenanigans in this niche, I acquired a Spanish Destroyer, M1 variant, in 9×19㎜ Parabellum. The rifle that arrived is in very good shape, particularly considering many (most) of the specimens I've examined over the years were pretty rough. (My understanding was the 9×19㎜ and .38 Super variants were only produced for export as sporting rifles, rather than Guardia Civil issue, so that might explain the nicer condition and, to my eyes, better fit and finish. But I am no expert on these, so cannot say conclusively.)

pequeño mauser de españa.jpg

pequeño mauser de españa1.jpg

Close up of the little Mauser action:

honey.jpg

I removed the magazine, because it looks to me there is a spacer in the back and the follower is shorter than specimens I've seen in 9×23㎜ Largo. I have a spare magazine, in the larger and more common, caliber coming, so can compare then.

Assuming it works out, and interest holds, plans would include:

• Acquiring or otherwise making additional magazine(s). If the Largo ones will work or can be modified that would be best. Ditto modifying Colt .38 Super magazines.
  • Have threaded for a silencer.
  • Likely put on a leather sling as it already has swing swivels.
I think it will be interesting to make a comparison to the Ruger and will likely take pictures then. However, looking at time, soon the house will have a whirlwind of motion and noise thanks to wife and children coming home. :s0112:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top