JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I looked into one for a long time. I did not hear good things about the trigger but, with the advent of the accu-trigger, I think many firearms consumers expect all triggers to be wonderful. Other people had complaints that the fit and finish were not great. The Ruger carbines seemed to be beat by LE agencies that went with the AR platform, instead of adopting a lateral platform (P-Series magazines for their pistols and rifles), and the availability of the rifles is now limited.

That said, in the pistol caliber semi-auto carbine field, guns that model the traditional rifle configuration are limited.

Shotgun News had a story about these some time back. They were discontinued due to fewer sales then they had hoped (LEO). SGN said they were a fun little gun and nice from the standpoint they used pistol ammo and magazines. I wanted to get one for around the house and thought it would be a good rifle for the wife. I was pretty hot on keeping an eye out on Gunbroker.com and have seen some pretty good deals but never had the money at the right time to buy (there is a .40 on now for $400). It seems there are more available in the .40 S&W (PC-4) then in the 9MM (PC-9). I would also get with the ghost ring rear sight. You can also learn some things about them here:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/

Well so far I haven't shot any of my rifles, besides the 10/22.
Possibly going to cap forest this weekend though.

Pistol caliber carbines are fun little guns to shoot.

I've had a hankerin (don't know why) for the little PC4 for a long time now. Just waiting to find one at a great price (my excuse). Kinda a bummer they never made anything more than the 11-round factory mags for the PC4; would love to see some 20 or 25-round mags for the little fotay.

Well I picked up the one I was looking at.
The thing looks nearly brand new, no appreciable wear, feed ramp looks perfect, barrel looks perfect.
Was 459 (not 550) plus tax and all that.
These kinda things I buy when I want them, and they're "there".
Trigger isn't great, by any stretch, and it (the gun) is a bit heavy.
But..... found lotsa 20 rd steel mags.
My next pistol will likely be .40, so I can share ammo (not mags...the next pistol won't be a ruger)
Now, to get out and start shooting some of my "new" guns....

I looked at one for while, now I'm waiting for the Hi-Point 45 Carbine. Should be shipping be any day now I'm sure. :s0114:

Here are some quotes from Gun Test Magazine Feb 2002

"Though Rough, our $199 Hi-Point Model 995 9mm Carbine turned out to be a bargain after all. But at $575, we would have to think hard about buying the less accurate, harder to shoot Ruger PC9."

Hi-Point "Best Buy" rating...

"If all the Hi-Point carbines are as good as this one, then it's a steal." Ruger PC9 "Conditional Buy"

"The Ruger cost more than twice as much as the Hi-Point, and didn't do as good a job as the cheaper gun in some important areas, such as accuracy and ease of use."

http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/14_2/features/4989-1.html

Yeah I read all kinds of stuff on them, good and bad.
I was looking at hi points, but I'll wait a while before stepping into that circle.

I hace a pistol caliber carbine in a 9mm AR and .357 1894C Marlin and had a few Mechtechs. I would pick the .40 for anykind of hunting/killing/fighting application and the 9mm for general plinking. If I saw a Ruger PC cheap enough I would probably buy it. I have though about the Marlin campin 45 too, to make it integrally suppressed but heard QC was not that hot on them with bores not being concentric to the bore.