JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just finished a Krag stock originally made by Bishop. Not the best figure, but nice tight grain and dense. Finished a beautiful dark reddish brown. I love finding old bishop and fajen stocks and reshaping them!

Boy that stock sure has the lines of a Fajen, but as MountainBear says It may be reworked by a talented gunsmith. I do have a Fajen and a Bishop stock that have a crossbolt, I think they were added by a gunsmith out in Verbort. That Redfield sight is a great thing! Talk about rare to see these days.
I be it shoots great also! Looks like you need to replace that recoil pad, I happen to have some that would look great on there! Under the recoil pad allot of times it was stamped Fajen or Bishop or other info.
I elctro pencil my info on the underside of the receiver on the flat near the receiver lug on rifles that I build. 50 years from now someone may want to know who built these great rifles! :) I spent a good couple hours looking for Harvey listed in old Gun Digests and other books...No mention of him.
Is the grip cap blank?

Here is a page out of my 1950 or so Fajen catalog.

Mike does it look like the cheek piece was added to your stock?

View attachment 291513
Yes , the cheek piece was added , but it had to be before 1946. the gun is same since then the yr I was born. When dad got it ....I don't know. SN shows 1918, I think sight was only made 1911 to about late 1920's I think ? Only think under grip cap or under butt pad was my dads name. The gun shoots, my eyes getting old , but got a young Marine in family who shoots it once in awhile, scary how well it shoots with good eyes. And I think the rear sight is 48 Lyman long slide. But in the picture the checkering looks like whats on the Fajen. Just was always curious as to were it came from . Mike

If the cheek piece was added, it could easily be a remodeled C-stock. The crossbolts would have been present and the magazine cut-off inlet look like a standard stock. A lot of gunsmiths were doing that as there was a whole lot of meat on those military stocks. Check the inletting around the barrel. If it's tight to the barrel, the look to see if there was wood strips added to fill in the original barrel channel. I don't think the NRA sporter stock had enough meat to craft that schnabel tip, otherwise that might be a possibility as well.

What I see is a state of the art 1950's Competition rifle for
Highpower. Heavy barrel, improved sights, over sized
recoil lugs and custom stock.
Is the stock bedded? Nice Rifle. I would love to shoot this in
a Vintage Rifle Match.

Last Edited:
did you ever use chestnut ridge stock stain ? it gives that old Winchester color

No, I haven't. Generally I use neutral color velvet oil but have been playing with cut tru-oil lately. I want to play with some alkanet root and seafin, but haven't had a chance to yet. Velvet oil is still my favorite, as it's what I learned on and what I've used the most. It doesn't build as fast as tru-oil, but I think it penetrates and protects better.

What I see is a state of the art 1950's Competition rifle for
Highpower. Heavy barrel, improved sights, over sized
recoil lugs and custom stock.
Is the stock bedded? Nice Rifle. I would love to shoot this in
a Vintage Rifle Match.
no barrel is not bedded, and barrel is military cause its marked, and I am fairly sure stock is military,
No, I haven't. Generally I use neutral color velvet oil but have been playing with cut tru-oil lately. I want to play with some alkanet root and seafin, but haven't had a chance to yet. Velvet oil is still my favorite, as it's what I learned on and what I've used the most. It doesn't build as fast as tru-oil, but I think it penetrates and protects better.
GOOD STUFF, BLAIRSVILLE PA

MAWAL1a.jpg

I'll have to order some up and give it a go...

The only issue is the price doubles because of the hazmat shipping, so a $15 bottle of stain is $31 shipped. Makes it a bit of a pain...

Last Edited:
I hate to resurrect a long dead thread, but I was browsing gunbroker this evening, and happened upon this.

Apparently the originator of this thread found a buyer for this. I never forget a Springfield, especially one this unique.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/720204959

If anyone wanted it then, here it is for sale, albeit pretty overpriced (at least in my opinion).

I hate to resurrect a long dead thread, but I was browsing gunbroker this evening, and happened upon this.

Apparently the originator of this thread found a buyer for this. I never forget a Springfield, especially one this unique.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/720204959

If anyone wanted it then, here it is for sale, albeit pretty overpriced (at least in my opinion).
had it on for sale . had some bids on it , got scared it would sell. chickened out and took it off, shoots too good, somebody can get it when i am good. mike

Glad you kept it. Having had a gun store, I have bought too many heirlooms from people that surely regret it later...

Most of us have had that moment. Hope dad's gun stays with you. I was sad to see it up, glad to see it taken down...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads